Author Topic: Does anyone know!!!!  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Davo13

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 83
Does anyone know!!!!
« on: 28 August 2005, 22:43 »
I have a MK 2 Golf GTI 1.8 8V 1990.

I am in need of a new engine. :sad:

Can anyone tell me if there is another engine(like an Audi) other than mk2 engine that would fit in as a straight swap or will I have to source a mk 2 engine?

What previous years mk 2 engines would fit?

Thanks in advance

Offline Mart8V

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • I really should know better by now.....
Re: Does anyone know!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2005, 10:03 »
You should be able to go back to 1988 for a Digifant engine like yours.  TSR do replacement engines (I think) and there are a number of other companies online who will do recon units for around £800.

Other option is to ring around the scrappy's in your area, or keep an eye on ebay.  Plenty of GTi engines around, usually.

What is wrong with yours? 

Offline Davo13

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 83
Re: Does anyone know!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2005, 21:49 »
I had a prob with a wandering idle.  I tried all the tips that I got off here, but didn't work.

I took it down the garage and had them put it on the diagnostics and basically the guy fixed the the wandering idle for a time(I think it was the fuel mixture) but he also said that I needed a new engine as the cams were all over the place the engine was breathing on its own and the airflow meter had very little control. 

So that was that!

I'll have to contact the local scrappies to see if I can source one as I can't afford a reconditioned one!  bit limited as I live on the IOM.  The only problem is that an engine from a scrappy may be know better and possibly older than mine.

Offline ...joe

  • Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 6,269
Re: Does anyone know!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2005, 23:05 »
not being funny but he sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about?! cams were all over the place? for starters there is only one and if its out it just needs re-timing. engine breathing on its own? eh? it could be the airflow meter is f**ked in which case i'd try that before looking for a new engine. hell of alot cheaper and easier. get it timed properly and set up by a vw mechanic (not neccessarily main dealer) doesn't sound un-fixable.
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline takethefifth

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,034
Re: Does anyone know!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2005, 01:17 »
I agree! I appreciate you may not have remembered exactly what he said but anywhere close to that sounds like crap to me! The only time you really need a 'new' engine is if you have managed to sieze it/grind large lumps of metal in it. All intakes and meters are replaceable as is the cam and many engine bits..... If it runs it honestly can't be that bad!

Offline The Hoax

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
Re: Does anyone know!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2005, 01:22 »
If it starts, pulls hard, doesn't smoke, use oil or rattle then the mechanic is talking crap. Hold fire and get a second opinion.