Author Topic: mounting  (Read 2424 times)

Offline marcogolfo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 688
  • Freelance Web Design, Logo Design etc email me
mounting
« on: 17 August 2005, 13:16 »
how easy is it to change the top mounts cos mine are nackered?  I have the shocks and that off but the mount doesnt wanna come off  :embarassed: seems to be like a circlip holding it in?  Help appreciated im a numpty
thx

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: mounting
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2005, 13:32 »
When i did mine there was some kind of round sleve in the centre of the mount that needed screwing off. It has a 2 grooves in which you need a special tool for, but i managed with a pair of circlip pliers.

Fielder5757

  • Guest
Re: mounting
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2005, 13:36 »
loli saw the title for this thread and thaught you would be talking about having sex with a fat b!tch :mellow:

Offline marcogolfo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 688
  • Freelance Web Design, Logo Design etc email me
Re: mounting
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2005, 13:51 »
 :grin:trust you fielder!" :grin: :laugh:
thanks do I need this round screwy thing that needs to be ripped off?  If I can't get it off whats the name of the tool so i dont look like a dork when i go in and ask for a tool

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: mounting
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2005, 13:59 »
Yes you need to keep the retaining nut. Its what holds the mount in place.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-AUDI-STRUT-TOOL-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ4569248519QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Strut tool.

Offline westysgolf

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 43
Re: mounting
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2005, 14:02 »
SX028:-Strut Nut Socket VW/Audi
this is from www.sealey-tools.co.uk and some motor factors

Offline marcogolfo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 688
  • Freelance Web Design, Logo Design etc email me
Re: mounting
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2005, 15:03 »
cheers also whats the name of the tool used to get the actual nut off the top strut mount so you can get them off the car.  You know the bit like a socket with a bit cut out, nowhere around here seems to sell them or for that matter know what the hell im talking about
« Last Edit: 17 August 2005, 15:21 by marcogolfo »

Offline Mart8V

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • I really should know better by now.....
Re: mounting
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2005, 16:24 »
Should just be a ring spanner with the angle on the end.  (Hmm- technical!) :grin: Also, you can sometimes get the retaining ring off with a punch and mallet.  Just take it easy......!!  Spanner available from your local chavfords.

Offline marcogolfo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 688
  • Freelance Web Design, Logo Design etc email me
Re: mounting
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2005, 09:22 »
hmmmm tried chavfords they dont have a spanner deep enough, also bought a big set of deep draper spanners and whilst the largest will fit one nut it wont fit the other :embarassed:
go figure

GTI-BOY

  • Guest
Re: mounting
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2005, 09:52 »
I managed with a vice grips and socket for mine..wasn't going to spend money....bah humbug :angry: