Author Topic: PCP anyone..?  (Read 9745 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: PCP anyone..?
« Reply #30 on: 21 August 2013, 09:28 »
I must admit I'm not a big fan of PCP deals. I would rather be in a position where at the end of the finance terms you own the car outright and you don't have a huge balloon payment hanging over your head. That's just my preference but I can appreciate the attractiveness of PCP

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 21 August 2013, 09:33 »
I must admit I'm not a big fan of PCP deals. I would rather be in a position where at the end of the finance terms you own the car outright and you don't have a huge balloon payment hanging over your head. That's just my preference but I can appreciate the attractiveness of PCP

I agree with this - its much better to own your car than PCP it.  But a HP for eg. may cost you an extra 50% on top of what you're all ready paying on a monthly basis  :laugh:

Loving your new banner btw!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 21 August 2013, 09:36 »

I agree with this - its much better to own your car than PCP it.  But a HP for eg. may cost you an extra 50% on top of what you're all ready paying on a monthly basis  :laugh:

Loving your new banner btw!

Cheers Mark. Can you tell I was bored this morning  :grin: :grin:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 21 August 2013, 09:45 »

:grin: :grin: Well the thing is you don't need to call VW or look at shipping details or check the tracker anymore, so what else are you going to do with your time!!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2013, 09:52 »
When you are looking to run a car, pick a budget and stick to it. For Stuart.Cameron’s case it looks like he’s really pushing on what he wants to pay. He can have his car either by chasing a huge discount (go and chase it, no one is going to chase you to give you £3500 off, least of all your local dealer), or cutting back on the options (maybe a bit of both), or get something cheaper.

The smart money for me is chasing that discount – more car for less money.

There are advantages and disadvantages for buying used or new. VW (and BMW/Audi) are good at creating high residuals which allow you to effectively finance the depreciation on an expensive car relatively cheaply, at a “reasonable” APR (Go see what the Germans are paying on their finance though – 1.9% APR). You have the peace of mind that all the car should cost you is fuel, tyres and servicing.

Buy a used car for less, lose less money on it and you’ll be quids in if nothing untoward happens to it, although out of warranty repairs seem to be getting more and more expensive as cars get ever more complex and running to tighter tolerances. Fuel economy is unlikely to be as good (fuel economy and power output get better with every incarnation of a model), equipment may not be as good, and it may have some wear on it (it is a good feeling to be in a car that is new) If you’re not paying cash then you’ll probably be paying more APR if you finance through a dealer. If I was buying a second hand car I’d be looking for a personal loan at 5-6% APR rather than car dealer used finance at anywhere between 10% and 20%.

There aren’t many people here buying a new GTI or GTD outright, most will be financing one way or the other. Are we not allowed to live before we pay our mortgage off? Got to have a decent life balance, and if having a new car is what makes you happy then, why not. It might not be a smart “investment”, but if you can afford to do what makes you happy then go for it
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2013, 09:53 »

:grin: :grin: Well the thing is you don't need to call VW or look at shipping details or check the tracker anymore, so what else are you going to do with your time!!  :laugh:

Very true. I'm perversly missing the excitement of the wait  :grin:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 21 August 2013, 09:59 »

Very true. I'm perversly missing the excitement of the wait  :grin:

I can help you out there - let's do a swap!!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 21 August 2013, 10:09 »
There aren’t many people here buying a new GTI or GTD outright, most will be financing one way or the other. Are we not allowed to live before we pay our mortgage off? Got to have a decent life balance, and if having a new car is what makes you happy then, why not. It might not be a smart “investment”, but if you can afford to do what makes you happy then go for it

I get that to a certain extent and sort of understand why people would do that. I guess I'm extremely old fashioned in my ways, and being self-employed, my income is extremely irregular, so regular monthly outgoings don't sit at all well with me.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 21 August 2013, 10:41 »
I understand drisser's logic.  And from a monetary point of view it makes sense.  But none of us are getting any younger so why drive around in a old sh!tter when you can have a brand new car for a few quid more?!  To coin a well used phrase these days - YOLO!  :laugh:

Are you saying my 330 Ci was an old sh!tter !?  :lipsrsealed:

I do take your point, but I am paying only £230 a month for my 135 coupe over 24 months with a small final payment, and lets face it most "modern" cars very rarely break down in a big way, so i dont buy into this idea buying new is the only way to avoid big bills.  My 330ci had nothing but 2 services and 1 tyre in 3 years and had 101k miles on the clock when she left me last week.

I do however buy into the philosophy "buy cheap and buy twice".  But for me buying cheap means buying a new Peugeot or something.  People who buy these cars new, on a PCP really are not clever..  To think my lovely 330ci cost me less to run over 3 years than someone buying a new Peug 308 for example..  I would buy quality used German cars every day over new cheaper brands.
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 21 August 2013, 10:53 »
Are you saying my 330 Ci was an old sh!tter !?  :lipsrsealed:

:grin: Not at all, in fact if anyone's got an old sh!tter at the moment its me!!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018