Author Topic: Golf GTD exhaust  (Read 14799 times)

Offline delihuso

• Just got here
Golf GTD exhaust
« on: 15 August 2013, 23:26 »
Hi guys,

I am thinking about getting a GTD however there is something that just irks me. I hate how the GTD has such an ugly exhaust in comparison to the GTI. Is it possible to get the same exhaust look as the GTI? You know, each one being on one side of the car?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf GTD exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2013, 23:33 »
I'm sure you can, at considerable cost for a custom exhaust and buying the GTI rear diffuser, officially it's a no.

Not sure why this was such a big deal for VW to do seeing as you can get 2.0TDI Audi A4s with the split exhaust like a GTI has.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2013, 07:30 »
You need some feature to dustinguish the GTI from the GTD and its really only the split exhaust that does this

Offline delihuso

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2013, 07:48 »
You need some feature to dustinguish the GTI from the GTD and its really only the split exhaust that does this

Well that's a bit stupid considering GTD owners pay just about as much for their cars. Oh well, I will just have to get a custom job done. Thank you both

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2013, 08:45 »

Well that's a bit stupid considering GTD owners pay just about as much for their cars. Oh well, I will just have to get a custom job done. Thank you both

How exactly is it stupid? Sorry, the GTI is the hot hatch out of the two hence it has a slight more aggressive stance, ie split exhaust

The two cars may be roughly the same book value but over the ownership it will cost us GTI owners far more than the GTD guys
« Last Edit: 16 August 2013, 08:48 by CraigW »

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2013, 08:59 »
For a moment there you'd think some GTD buyers actually want a GTI :wink:  The exhaust is different in the same way the red accents are different and the way the car handles and sounds is different.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline sam67GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2013, 09:02 »
Coming from a car that has two split exhausts, I'm looking forward to the GTD double barrelled exhaust! It's like a sawn off shotgun that will blow the car behind into the weeds (hopefully without the cloud of black smoke  :grin:)
VW Golf R 7.5 | 3 Door | DSG | Lapiz Blue | Black Pretorias | Dynaudio | DCC | Rear Reversing Camera | Black Mirror Caps

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2013, 09:03 »
Haha! Coming from a Mk5 GTI with a double-barrel exhaust, I'm looking forward to some pipe separation!  :whistle:
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline delihuso

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2013, 10:13 »

How exactly is it stupid? Sorry, the GTI is the hot hatch out of the two hence it has a slight more aggressive stance, ie split exhaust

The two cars may be roughly the same book value but over the ownership it will cost us GTI owners far more than the GTD guys

fair enough mate

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2013, 14:14 »
I think the point is VW went to great lengths to make the GTI and GTD look the same except for the red stripe and red logo. I assume the true answer would be a technical one.
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.