Author Topic: Quration on Stop / Start after being rear ended.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Quration on Stop / Start after being rear ended.
« on: 12 August 2013, 08:28 »
Hi all.

On the way to work today I witnessed a small accident. Nothing too major and no one hurt it seems, but whilst a car was waiting at red lights along side me, the car behind her failed to stop and went up the back end of her (ooh 'er misses  :laugh:). Like I said wasn't too bad and they exchanged details and both cars were drivable.

It did however get me thinking about the stop start system on my current Scirocco and ultimately on the new GTD when it arrives. In the Rocco, to engage the stop / start I just need to press hard on the brake pedal and the engine stops. As I have DSG, I don't need to take the car out of gear, so that when the car re-starts, it moves off straight away. Now (god forbid), I was hit up the rear, and my foot came off the brake pedal, would the car restart and move forwards - potentially into the back of another car, or would the  car know it's been in an accident and refuse to re-start.

To be honest in 2½ years of owning the Rocco, I've never given it any thought, just seeing this today got me thinking. Obviously I think the question is only relative to DSG equipped cars as we leave the car "in gear" whilst the engine stops, whereas I believe on manuals, you have to dip the clutch and take the car out of gear ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Quration on Stop / Start after being rear ended.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2013, 09:11 »
It won't move forward just because you take your foot off the brake - the autohold/electronic handbrake will keep the car at a stop. It would only move off again if you put your foot on the accelerator.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.