Author Topic: Ride Quality  (Read 2050 times)

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
Ride Quality
« on: 09 August 2013, 11:39 »
A friend of mine had a courtesy car from Audi yesterday whilst his was being repaired. It was a TT, so we thought we'd take it for a blast just to test the theory that nothing handles like a loaned car    :smiley:

Anyway, to cut to the chase. It's a nice enough car, goes well, handles well, but the ride quality is absolutely shocking. I couldn't quite believe how harsh and stiff it was. After 5 minutes I wanted to get out and never get back in again.

It made me appreciate just how well sorted the suspension on my new GTI really is. It handles as if on rails, yet the ride is sublime. That's with the standard suspension, no ACC fitted. They have worked wonders on this car. I just don't know how they've done it.

Anyone else feel the same?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Ride Quality
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2013, 11:56 »
A friend of mine had a courtesy car from Audi yesterday whilst his was being repaired. It was a TT, so we thought we'd take it for a blast just to test the theory that nothing handles like a loaned car    :smiley:

Anyway, to cut to the chase. It's a nice enough car, goes well, handles well, but the ride quality is absolutely shocking. I couldn't quite believe how harsh and stiff it was. After 5 minutes I wanted to get out and never get back in again.

It made me appreciate just how well sorted the suspension on my new GTI really is. It handles as if on rails, yet the ride is sublime. That's with the standard suspension, no ACC fitted. They have worked wonders on this car. I just don't know how they've done it.

Anyone else feel the same?

Yes!  I have a TT and the ride is very firm and very bumpy.  I'm used to it, but when i drove the GTI & GTD I didn't feel any of the bumps at all such is the ride quality!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
Re: Ride Quality
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2013, 12:01 »
Totally agree with this. As soon as you get to the higher performance Audis and BMWs they seem to come with an overly firm suspension. This is not only uncomfortable but when you are driving on our less than smooth country roads I have found it can send the car off the line you are taking round corners etc. I don't know why they go this route - are European roads really that much better than ours?

VW have done an excellent job with the GTI suspension and the ACC is even better  :smiley: