Author Topic: GTI Rivals  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: GTI Rivals
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2013, 15:40 »
What about the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Cloverleaf 5 door?

0-60 mph 6.6 secs
150 mph
231 bhp
340 Nm (251 lb-ft)
« Last Edit: 06 August 2013, 16:31 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2013, 15:49 »

0-60 6.6 secs
150 mph
231 bhp
340 Nm (251 lb-ft)

Should that not be 0-60 days in 6.6 breakdowns?  :grin:

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2013, 16:25 »
How about a USED

Porsche 911 (997)
Porsche Cayman S
Aston Martin Vantage
Audi TT RS
Audi RS3
Merc AMG various models
BMW M3 / M5 / M6

:lipsrsealed:
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2013, 16:34 »
Surely 125i rather than 125d, which is more of a GTD rival?

Yes, agreed!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2013, 20:23 »

0-60 6.6 secs
150 mph
231 bhp
340 Nm (251 lb-ft)

Should that not be 0-60 days in 6.6 breakdowns?  :grin:
Nope, only 1 cloverleaf engine has gone bang so far unlike VW and Audi TSIs which are dieing like flys...

Plus Alfa sent engineers from Italy to diagnose and strip the engine down to find out why. VW and Audi just create a new engine to the dealers and brush issues under the carpet...
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2013, 20:33 »
What about Seat Leon Cupra? My local Seat dealership wanted me to sign on the dotted line for one before he would give me a test drive. Needless to say, he didn't get my business, I got a Scirocco instead.

The new one has 300bhp so its in a different league ie. Golf R, A45, S3, M135i league!

An FR normally is the direct rival to the GTI using the same engine
The cupra from what ive read thats due next year will get 270ps and the current scirocco R manages fine with a similar output. The CupRa will have the GTI diff to help too.

The CupRa R could be an interesting car with 300ps and rumour s of 4wd therefore an S3

SEAT always had more powerful engines than VW versions since the mid 90s and so they should as they are under the Audi arm of the group and classed as a more sporty brand in the group because of it.

The mk1 leon cupra Rhad 210/225ps from 2003 the golf GTI got 150!
Its only took the GTI 10 years to catch up lol ;)

I think I know which dealership that was they tried that one on me once.
I think if your face and dress sense does not fit or you look too young and they think your just wasting their time its there line to get rid of you.
Salesmen are on 13k and sales meen bonus money so time to them is money.
I went back in a week or so later and got a test drive no problem but I spoke to someone else.

I actually like the look of the new 3 door leon.

Skoda octavia vRS is anothe GTI rival.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2013, 20:50 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2013, 21:17 »
I think I know which dealership that was they tried that one on me once.
I think if your face and dress sense does not fit or you look too young and they think your just wasting their time its there line to get rid of you.
Salesmen are on 13k and sales meen bonus money so time to them is money.
I went back in a week or so later and got a test drive no problem but I spoke to someone else.

It was the one on Scotswood Road Newcastle who also have/had a Ford dealership (Jennings or Patterson?). I was looking to trade a Golf in that had an RRP comparable to the Cupra when it was new, so I don't think I looked like I couldn't afford it. It was late in the day so maybe he couldn't be arsed so close to hometime. Either way he didn't seem that keen to follow through.

I always like the look of Leons for a year, then they start to look old to me - they seem to age quickly IMO.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2013, 21:19 »
I always like the look of Leons for a year, then they start to look old to me - they seem to age quickly IMO.

Agree completely. I like the current one outside, but think the dash looks very plain and dated already.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2013, 21:20 »

Snoopy, I quite like both the 3 and 5 door versions. Interior quality is also massive leap forward compared with the mk2 version too; probably not quite up to the mk7 golf, but a significant improvement over the previous version.

When the time comes for me to change, I'll at least go and look at one and take a test drive. After all, it shares much of its underpinnings with the Golf, but arguably wears a sharper suit, so for me, it's worth consideration as an alternative to the Golf.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2013, 23:59 »
Ive owned quite a few SEATs in my time as VW with the mk3 golf made me move over to the ibiza GTIs and Leon Cupras as they were more like a GTI than a VW GTI of mk3 or 4 types.
I still own a SEAT leon mk1 and in the previous 8 years of family ownership its had no issues. Unlike my newer supposedly superior previous and also my current  VW GTIs.
The SEATs may not have the touchy feely plastics but I have found them better screwed together with better basic engineering principals.
The looks of the mk2 leon is why I moved back to VW GTIs but im quite liking the look of the mk3 leon and have not been impressed by VW ownership.
This is why ive not bought a mk7 GTI yet as current and previous model ownership experience is making me a bit worried  im waiting to see how it all pans out with reliability, assembly quality, silly design issues etc as ive not been too impressed by the 5 or 6 in this regard.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 00:06 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI