Author Topic: MK7 GTI vs M135i  (Read 79806 times)

Offline drisser

• I live here
MK7 GTI vs M135i
« on: 04 August 2013, 18:23 »
My dilemma is well documented here - GTi on order, change of job since ordering and chance of a company car, and also a mouth watering deal on a brand new M135 available, bringing it spec for spec within about 1500 quid of my Golf order... with delivery promised in 6 weeks.

I received an invitation to a Sytner Group test drive weekend and so booked in for the M135 today at 2pm, in order to see how the car drove compared to the Mk7 GTi.  I think a lot of us on this forum have pondered about the 135 so maybe I can give my own opinion given my selection dilemma..

Firstly, was disappointed with the way this test drive weekend was handled, although I wont dwell much on this other than to say if I did order a 135 it wont be from Sytner.  No Brochures of any mode available.  Nobody wanting to talk about actuals deals, seemed like a bit of a joyride opportunity.  Also, I booked a 1 hour slot thinking as a potential customer ( had been talking to a salesguy at dealership a few days earlier) I was going to get a 1 hour drive on my own.  Turned out to be a 15 min spin with the Sytner guy next to me on a pre determined route.  Not too impressed so far.

Anyway, moving onto the car.  First, lets deal with the looks.  Yep, I still dont think its a nice looking car but the restyle is definately better than the previous 1 series. I drove an Estoril Blue 3 door and it did look quite nice to be honest.  Inside it is quite a nice place to be, the optional sat nav is a big 10 inch screen and in a good place.  Fit and finish is most definately in line with the Golf or better, it feels like a refined and quality hatch.  It confirmed another thing, people in the market for one of these, or a GTi for example are not just looking at 0-60 they want quality.  You cannot compare the finish of a Ford ST or Megane, they are miles apart.  Road testers seem to brush over it all the time but when you get in car you want to feel the quality. 

Outside looks, I love the dark allows and M branded calipers, they are seriously cool, 4 piston up front.  I checked the brakes size they are 340mm, same as the GTi PP.  Anyone who has ordered a PP car and not seen it in the flesh, guys I think you are going to be surprised how big the front discs are and they show serious intent.  No question the the M135 brakes look more up to the job than the Golf, how they perform we will see..  I do like the fact the 135 is quite understated and in that way like the GTi.  Order it in grey or black and joe blogs wont know it from a 116d but those in the know, anyone driving a Boxster S for example is going steer well clear of this car in a drag race..  which takes me onto performance.

I didnt get a huge chance to rag the car but did get to give it a foot to the floor M4 slip lane acceleration.  What is it like ?  ON another planet to be honest.  Where the GTi felt very fast and torquey, the M135 is simply MINDBLOWING in terms of outright acceleration.  The road test figures some people have achived don't lie, its warp speed and I dont see anything this side of a Porsche 911, Audi R8 etc would outrun this car, I kid you not it would embarrass some 80k+ machinery.  With the 8 speed auto box, manual mode holds the gears or you simply put it in sport and mash the throttle, its a very very good transmission, but because it has so many gears, it does shift around a lot.  I would love to drive a manual car because with the power and torque band I reckon it would be as good to drive.

This takes me on to another issue - As i said i didnt get a chance to really DRIVE the car but it does not feel light on its feet like the Golf.  I didnt check the tech spec but it feels heavier and with the 6 cyl motor I am sure its a good 150kg heavier.  Where the golf dances and feels light, the 135 is a touch heavy.  Some might disagree because the price is so cheap relatively speaking, but I actually think a Golf GTi buyer won't buy this car really.  Its quite a different drive, almost like a mini GT car.  I am sure it handles well on track etc. I actually think the kind of buyer this car will attract is someone trading down from something more expensive, rather than your GTi or Megane buyer trading up.

Running costs - I have a strong view on this - anyone who thinks this car wont cost more to run than a GTi or any other mainstream hot hatch with a 4 cyl turbo is dreaming.  You dont buy this car to pootle around in, you buy it to beat an Aston Martin Vantage away from the lights ( and you can ).  So for starters you wont get more than 30 MPG.  The guy with me said you will get 32 on a long run, 24-25 around town.  If you use the performance, and its addictive believe me I would expect to get no better than 25 average. The golf of course wont do 47 but I would guess realistically it will be 25 plays 35.  It will eat tyres like no tomorrow.  1st year road tax is 460 quid.  Would I buy a 5 year old M135 ?  Nope I dont think so, because you know it will have been driven so hard in its life, the turbo might go pop.  YOu cant drive this car slowly sorry, you floor it at every chance, or blip the gears down when you can.  I think this is going to hammer used values - unless they restrict supply soon and it develops a cult following - which it might.  But search on BMW approved used, there are dozens and dozens of pre reg M135's and that cant be good.  That said, I noticed a few ex demo mk 7 GTis on Piston heads at around 25k so not sure how residuals will hold up.

SO in summary, I actually think the 135 is competing with different cars to the GTi - its competing with the S3 and AMG 45 only in the hatch category, it is surely going to tempt some owners out of things like Porsche Boxsters and Caymans, fast coupes and fast sallons costing maybe 50-60k.  Why, because for half the money you can blow the wheels of anything pretty much this side of a supercar.  If I had 60k to spend I would buy an M135 and another maybe convertible for the summer.

The acceleration is simply amazing, the engine is just fantastic.  I drive a 6 cyl BMW so I know how smooth they are but the kick is simply staggering and neck wrenching.  I do believe most people will buy it for the engine and discreet looks.  With a sensible head on would I buy one ?  Nope.  The GTi is fast enough for most of us in the real world and I think I could easily lose my licence with a 135.  Its better in the flesh than pics for sure, but not nearly as cool and good looking as the golf.  The thikg I am struggling with most, to bite the dealers hand off to buy a 135 is my concern how much it will cost to run and how much it will depreciate by.  It should be reliable, but I have a niggling doubt that when some of these are on the used market at 3-4-5 years old, they could be in a bad way and that could give them a bad reputation.

Its a stunning peice of kit for 28k after discount.  It would be an easy car to live with every day, its quite understated but those in the know will not want to take you on at the lights !  Would I buy one ?  Hmm, not sure I need to sleep on it.  If I could get a bit more money off, I might just think about it, knowing it would cost a fair bit more to run, and just enjoy that amzing engine. 

The key difference for most of us in the real world though is with the GTi, you can go ahead and order one with a high degree of confidence if you are sensible it wont cost much more to run than a normal golf.  If you buy a 135, you need to go into it with your eyes open a fair bit more I think.  I think the GTI will slowly and over the long term grow into your affections a lot more as an everyday car than the 135.

Thats a long review, but hopefully it helps a few of you pondering the same thing - 0-60 in 4.5 secs ? for 30k.  Surely not ?! If you want outright grunt, then you simply can't beat the 135. It comes down to do you want a lighter, more agile, cool, quick car aka the GTi, or a neck braking but possible less engaging Aston bating ugly hatchback !

Me, I am going to sleep on it.  Just dont ever race one away from the lights in your GTi ( or Golf R, I dont see it will also be able to get close)   :cry:

Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline drisser

• I live here
by the way I meant to say, one other downside.

At this event, there was an estoril blue 116d M sport and I struggled to tell it apart from the M135.  I looked on the BMW configurator, you can tick the M sport plus package for 1400 -

The M Braking system and blue calipers
Harmon Kardon Hi Fi
Xenons
Headlight wash + a couple of other things.

I cant help thinking a nicely specced 120d with this package is going to be a more sensible and compelling 1 series and most people wont tell it apart from the 135..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats

Offline AAddict

• I live here
by the way I meant to say, one other downside.

At this event, there was an estoril blue 116d M sport and I struggled to tell it apart from the M135.  I looked on the BMW configurator, you can tick the M sport plus package for 1400 -

The M Braking system and blue calipers
Harmon Kardon Hi Fi
Xenons
Headlight wash + a couple of other things.

I cant help thinking a nicely specced 120d with this package is going to be a more sensible and compelling 1 series and most people wont tell it apart from the 135..

Sensible, yes, compelling? Hell no, not for me. The main plusses of the M135i were covered in your review.

1: The engine and the performance.
2: The engine and the performance.
3: The engine and the performance.

The diesel M-Sport and lower petrol models for that matter are good enough cars, but the outrageous engine in the sleeper M135i is the pick of the range for me, and the only 1 series I would consider.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline drisser

• I live here
Just to clarify..

When I said compelling, I meant compelling anyone who is a serious 1 series buyer, not compelling for me  :rolleyes:

As in, you can get a car that looks identical to an M135 down to the blue M brakes, but with much more sensible running costs..

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Just to clarify..

When I said compelling, I meant compelling anyone who is a serious 1 series buyer, not compelling for me  :rolleyes:

As in, you can get a car that looks identical to an M135 down to the blue M brakes, but with much more sensible running costs..

Ahh right, see what you mean.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
It's a hell of a rocket and very well made. The performance is so addictive.
When I was buying, I could not get the deal I wanted on the M135i, which I did on the 330d M Sports and which was too sweet to ignore.
Birds are offering an ECU Update for an M135i - 370 bhp + Quaife LSD for £3069 inc VAT which does not affect BMW Warranty (so they say). Such a car would take you into hyperspace.
The LCI F20 comes out next year which will have improved looks especially of the snout.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
Great write up mate, and I knew it would be an awesome machine in terms of outright power and performance.  I'm going on instinct here, but I'm sure that the novelty of that will wear off, and the realities of the higher running costs and "lesser practicality" for want of better words will set in.  As you say, you can have an almost identical looking car for less money and lower running costs.  Is it worth it just for the acceleration?   As a guy who can only afford to own and run one car for myself, I'd have to say no it's not...even with a bit more discount thrown in.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline drisser

• I live here
Gryzor

you are almost spot on in terms of my summary thoughts.  The acceleartion is mind blowing no question, but then when reality bites and you have the running costs, and the looks, what have you go left ?

Telling people in the pub about the 0-60, embarrasing the odd Boxster S or Cayman, yes for sure.. 

Hence you can have literally 99% of the looks in a much more sensible package by going for the 125d M sport and tick the M sport + package option ( ironically I think this is the most direct comparison to the GTi / GTD, not the 135  in terms of performance and running costs).

Its a few weeks since I drive the GTi but i remember it getting under my skin and feeling alive, the M135 was just a rocket but didnt pull too many heart strings as an ownership proposition...

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
Great write up. I've been thinking about an M135 after all the delays but I think once the novelty of the engine and acceleration has worn off I'm pretty sure I would be regretting not holding out for the GTI

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Excellent write up drisser. As suspected you'd need deep pockets to run one of these!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....