Author Topic: Burning the midnight oil  (Read 1252 times)

GTI-BOY

  • Guest
Burning the midnight oil
« on: 15 August 2005, 11:46 »
 Lads, my 1990 8 valve digi has decided to start sucking oil through the crankcase breather hose...AAGGGHHH! The engine was fully rebuilt last year. I've already replaced the breather valve. I'm used to seeing a puff of blue smoke now and again but yesterday I was fairly booting it down the motorway when I looked behind and saw an explosion of blue smoke accompanied by the oil low pressure warning light.(thought twas the head gasket!) I coasted for a while and the light went off, I pulled in and chked the oil and it had gone down a bit but was still above min... The car drove fine on the way home.. Seems that it will start to suck in oil at high revs... anyone else have this prob or even better..a solution?? PLS!!  :cry:

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: Burning the midnight oil
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2005, 11:50 »
James bond may know. Maybe you just need to click your smokescreen button off!  :grin:

Sorry dont know. Just in a daft mood.

GTI-BOY

  • Guest
Re: Burning the midnight oil
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2005, 12:13 »
Hmmm, might check if Q can fit me in at the weekend, Full service and ejector seat adjustment  :laugh:

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Burning the midnight oil
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2005, 19:59 »
This can happen if the breather pipe is partially blocked, the pressure builds up untill something gives and it dumps a load of oil into your inlet.  If you cant solve the proiblem set up a catch tank to stop it happening again :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Burning the midnight oil
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2005, 08:28 »
give it a flush and then oil change
:)