Author Topic: My new ride for the weekend !! - Thanks VW Fleet  (Read 20292 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: My new ride for the weekend !! - Thanks VW Fleet
« Reply #80 on: 05 August 2013, 10:38 »
ADC speed recovery after a slowdown of the traffic ahead is epically slow with the DSG. Heavy footing eco mode because it frustrates is no more economical than setting it up in normal in the first place.

No offence but what is the DSG doing wrong this time?  Its "epically slow" because it is maximising economy over speed, which is what you asked it to do.  If you feel the need to put your foot down why did you put it in eco when you actually wanted speed?  If you take it out of eco mode it will give you what you want.

I don't see what the problem is.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #81 on: 05 August 2013, 11:19 »
ADC speed recovery after a slowdown of the traffic ahead is epically slow with the DSG. Heavy footing eco mode because it frustrates is no more economical than setting it up in normal in the first place.

No offence but what is the DSG doing wrong this time?  Its "epically slow" because it is maximising economy over speed, which is what you asked it to do.  If you feel the need to put your foot down why did you put it in eco when you actually wanted speed?  If you take it out of eco mode it will give you what you want.

I don't see what the problem is.

Just trying to say that eco mode is pretty much a waste of time in a GTI or GTD with DSG, the slow uptake of speed back to predetermined point according to the ADC following the car in front slowing down would be pretty slow even on an 86PS 1.2. Economy dips as soon as you accelerate moderately or hard on most modern engines, it's usually more economical to accelerate hard for a few seconds heavy fuel penalty and then maintain desired cruising speed sooner rather than take 5 x as long with gentle acceleration - this is definitely the case with my current TDI. In either case, if you're using ADC/CC to maintain your speed, you're not driving as economically as you could be. My dad has made a few longish journeys in his GTD now and has found no advantage to having eco on. I do wonder whether there is a bit of placebo going on - stick it in eco and drive like a saint gets you more mpg, but was it your driving style or the car?

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #82 on: 05 August 2013, 11:45 »
What does eco actually do other than hold off on gear changes?  If you have eco in a manual is it doing anything differently?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 05 August 2013, 11:50 »
What does eco actually do other than hold off on gear changes?  If you have eco in a manual is it doing anything differently?

Not sure what ECO does in manual - perhaps alter a few settings by default such as aircon running on lowest output with recycling cooled air etc. I don't think the car has 3 ECU maps.

In DSG mode the car can freewheel to save a tiny amount of fuel when it is not accelerating, can't see why teh other 2 modes couldn't have had this feature too.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline RikWebb

• Here all the time
  • Like tears in rain....
« Reply #84 on: 05 August 2013, 12:58 »
P.S. I was running on standard unleaded 95 Ron - where you guys will probably use 97 Ron - I'm just a tight wad  :wink:

Maybe.

There's been a bit of a debate on that! :tongue:

Well - in my 6 cylinder beemer (with my driving style) - 95Ron lowest mpg =18mpg but 97 lowest was 26mpg
So 4 years ago with my beemer - it made a difference - Was using the Total stuff

With the diesel - the ultimate stuff makes a difference in the wifes Zafira - but non at all in the Golf!

So, it is very subjective, and I suppose it depends on how old the car is and how its tuned
 :smiley:

Rik: The eco mode does seem to frustrate more than it helps. In anything with a DSG it is awful. ADC speed recovery after a slowdown of the traffic ahead is epically slow with the DSG. Heavy footing eco mode because it frustrates is no more economical than setting it up in normal in the first place. You get the freewheeling option in eco with DSG (they could have so easily incorporated it into normal and sport - if you're not accelerating then what difference should it make what mode you are in?). My dad has given up on eco mode on his GTD DSG.

No wonder mate - I think I will be giving it a miss.
Interestingly, my mate with the GT - and he is frugal - gives it a miss too :)
MK7.5 GTD DSG Isaac Blue 5Dr - 19" Santiago's / Nav Pro / Pano Roof / Keyless / Rear Camera / Mobile Wireless charger
Ordered 22/09/2017 - BW confirmed as 23/10/2017

Previous
MK7 GTD Ordered - May 16th 2013 - Tornado Red, Discover Pro Nav - Promised 16 week delivery - HA!
191 Days = 27 Weeks from order to delivery

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #85 on: 05 August 2013, 13:03 »
Don't see the point in ECO mode for a GTI / GTD to be honest.

Get a TDI if you want to watch the pennies.
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.