Author Topic: Thank God they blocked this..  (Read 2199 times)

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
Thank God they blocked this..
« on: 30 July 2013, 21:01 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23487928

They've blocked the publication of how to crack the immobilisers on the vw's as well as others.  The universities find it amazing they have been blocked, but I can bet none of them own vw's as you'd be extremely annoyed. It's like telling someone how to break the locks on your front door!

Hopefully the security company that makes these will tighten things up.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Re: Thank God they blocked this..
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2013, 21:08 »
You can be sure if a University has hacked an immobiliser, that the criminals will have already done so. I am wondering if this is related to a story in BBC news a few days ago where they said that a vehicle could be disabled if you were connected to the OBD port. Heck, I could do that in the blink of an eye with my Ross-Tech Micro Can.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2013, 21:50 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23487928

They've blocked the publication of how to crack the immobilisers on the vw's as well as others.  The universities find it amazing they have been blocked, but I can bet none of them own vw's as you'd be extremely annoyed. It's like telling someone how to break the locks on your front door!

Hopefully the security company that makes these will tighten things up.

Hopefully someone will twok the academics cars, drive ithem to a quarry and burn them out. All they care about is publishing their paper.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2013, 21:59 »
I think if you read on it says they would need to be in close proximity to the car they are trying to steal for 48 hours while the equipment tried to crack the codes.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2013, 03:54 »
You can be sure if a University has hacked an immobiliser, that the criminals will have already done so. I am wondering if this is related to a story in BBC news a few days ago where they said that a vehicle could be disabled if you were connected to the OBD port. Heck, I could do that in the blink of an eye with my Ross-Tech Micro Can.

I don't think they are related.  One is decrypting the immobiliser key, the other is spoofing the ECU.  Sounds like Thales done bad by not updating their security.  However the academics can't just release IP because they want to meet their publication quotas.  Naughty naughty.