Author Topic: September plate  (Read 2404 times)

Offline jrc193

• Not said much yet
September plate
« on: 30 July 2013, 13:03 »
Apparently my car which arrived  Emden 15/07 has been awaiting call forward by dealer since 23/07. I recall intimating that I'd prefer a September plate and suspect that may be cause of delay in onward shipment. Now I have a dilemma, do I give way to my natural instinct to insist it be delivered asap ( which would probably mean mid to late August) or simply push for it to be delivered to me 1st September with the new plate, which may improve residual value?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: September plate
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2013, 13:07 »
Apparently my car which arrived  Emden 15/07 has been awaiting call forward by dealer since 23/07. I recall intimating that I'd prefer a September plate and suspect that may be cause of delay in onward shipment. Now I have a dilemma, do I give way to my natural instinct to insist it be delivered asap ( which would probably mean mid to late August) or simply push for it to be delivered to me 1st September with the new plate, which may improve residual value?

If you're buying it personally (cash, personal loan, hire purchase) I'd wait for the new plate.  If you're doing a PCP then get it asap as you'll be giving the car back after 3 years so the new plate is irrelevant!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Neil_MK

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2013, 13:09 »
In a kind of similar situation in that mine is on its way and *could* be ready mid-August. I'll be waiting for September 1st though for the sake of a couple of weeks (it probably won't be ready until then anyway!).
Rejected - MK7 Golf GTI 5dr - Pure White - Hailstorm damaged (Ordered 24th April)
Rebuild on order - MK7 Golf GTI 5dr - Pure White - this time with Performance Pack - Confirmed BW40 (no hailstorms this time please!)

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2013, 13:12 »
I'd wait if you're paying for it yourself.  It will be worth more when you sell it on.

Offline Neil_MK

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2013, 13:13 »
I'm buying using PCP as I have done many times but I've never just handed a car back.  I'll expect some equity above the GFV, hence waiting for Sept 1st as it may make a bit of difference.

If you're buying it personally (cash, personal loan, hire purchase) I'd wait for the new plate.  If you're doing a PCP then get it asap as you'll be giving the car back after 3 years so the new plate is irrelevant!
Rejected - MK7 Golf GTI 5dr - Pure White - Hailstorm damaged (Ordered 24th April)
Rebuild on order - MK7 Golf GTI 5dr - Pure White - this time with Performance Pack - Confirmed BW40 (no hailstorms this time please!)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2013, 13:14 »
I'm buying using PCP as I have done many times but I've never just handed a car back.  I'll expect some equity above the GFV, hence waiting for Sept 1st as it may make a bit of difference.

It won't make much difference if you're giving it back for eg to VW to finance your next car - its only if you sell it personally and pay off the GFV yourself.  Get the car asap!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline jrc193

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2013, 13:28 »
Thanks guys. As it is a private buy I'll wait

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2013, 13:50 »
Mine arrived last week and although I bought without finance I just couldn't wait till September  :smiley:

TBH I don't think the plate makes a huge difference these days. Most second hand adverts these days talk about year of resgistration e.g (2013 on 13 plate) instead of the old days where it was all about the registration letter. 

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2013, 19:45 »
If it really is mid-late August, then just for the sake of it regardless I'd push it back to a September plate, if only to not have a number 13 on the car as I just don't think it looks good (I'm daft with number plates like that, nothing superstitious about bad luck or anything!)  In either case, the financial difference between a 13 and a 63 plate is going to be negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2013, 10:57 »
Wait till September the 1st if you are on PCP then of course this will increase the cars value there for increase the equity you may have vs a car.

If you were on contract hire where you literally hand the car back and resell value has no importance then pick it up asap.
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.