Author Topic: Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please  (Read 18377 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2013, 20:18 »
You are a modern day WH Auden RunningMan, when your famous we can say we heard it here first!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Running Man

« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2013, 20:42 »
You are a modern day WH Auden RunningMan, when your famous we can say we heard it here first!  :laugh:

Lay your sleeping head, my love, Human on my faithless arm; Time and fevers burn away Individual beauty from Thoughtful children, and the grave Proves the child ephemeral: But in my arms till break of day Let the living creature lie, Mortal, guilty, but to me The entirely beautiful. Soul and body have no bounds: To lovers as they lie upon Her tolerant enchanted slope In their ordinary swoon, Grave the vision Venus sends Of supernatural sympathy, Universal love and hope; While an abstract insight wakes Among the glaciers and the rocks The hermit's carnal ecstasy. Certainty, fidelity On the stroke of midnight pass Like vibrations of a bell, And fashionable madmen raise Their pedantic boring cry: Every farthing of the cost, All the dreaded cards foretell, Shall be paid, but from this night Not a whisper, not a thought, Not a kiss nor look be lost. Beauty, midnight, vision dies: Let the winds of dawn that blow Softly round your dreaming head Such a day of welcome show Eye and knocking heart may bless, Find the mortal world enough; Noons of dryness find you fed By the involuntary powers, Nights of insult let you pass Watched by every human love.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2013, 14:51 by Running Man »

Offline RikWebb

• Here all the time
  • Like tears in rain....
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2013, 21:04 »
I'll have a pint of whatever 'Running Man' is on please Mr Barman!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
MK7.5 GTD DSG Isaac Blue 5Dr - 19" Santiago's / Nav Pro / Pano Roof / Keyless / Rear Camera / Mobile Wireless charger
Ordered 22/09/2017 - BW confirmed as 23/10/2017

Previous
MK7 GTD Ordered - May 16th 2013 - Tornado Red, Discover Pro Nav - Promised 16 week delivery - HA!
191 Days = 27 Weeks from order to delivery

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2013, 22:01 »
I was the same, I had an s-line A3 spec'd up and was ready to sign on the dotted line, then I went on a trackday and drove a GTR Skyline and remembered that driving could be fun, and I ditched the A3 for the GTI.

From my point of view, if I got the A3, I would enjoy it, and wouldn't mind driving it..but I'd be thinking about the GTI a lot.  Whereas, if I had the GTI, I don't think I would think about the A3 at all.  Kind of like going out with Wilma Flintstone, you'd be thinking about Betty Rubble most of the time.. :wink:

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2013, 23:03 »
Si,

As Monkeyhanger says you must test drive both (plenty of demo's around now) to help make up your mind.

After I test drove the GTI I was smitten (plus I've always wanted one since I was I kid and now I'm lucky enough to afford one).

I very nearly bought a BMW 123d coupe last year but when I saw the very first pics of the mk7 GTI/GTD I made the decision to wait. Getting a bit old now the 1 series coupe but I still love it's idiosyncratic looks.

Get test driving!

Hi mate, good tip.....test drives now lined up for the back end of the week. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Si
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2013, 23:05 »
Well I came from a BMW 3 Coupe to a MK6 GT Diesel. I have now ordered the GTD.
Company car driver myself.
Although I love the GTI - and the cost is only a small amount as far as lease rental - its the BIK that makes the bigger difference.
The extra least cost and BIK combined make the difference in cost between a GTI and a GTD too great.

If your lease company are like mine - they can arrange a test drive weekend for each car - see what you think.
I think you will be surprised with both the GTI and GTD, although there is nothing wrong with the Audi.
Just don't forget the BIK in your costing's.

Hope that helps
Rik

Hi Rik, thanks for your feedback. It has been a ball-ache getting the BIK and personal contribution costs properly worked out. Even had to see the dudes at work in the Payroll team to talk me through it. Think I have got it sussed now. Cheers, Si
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2013, 23:07 »
If you're coming from a 123d then the diesal A3 will feel like a tank - it'll be so slow in comparison. I drove an A3 S-line 1.8 petrol Quattro on Saturday and even that felt slow compared to the GTI (noticeably so as well).  The amount of miles you're doing the GTD is the sensible choice, pretty quick and economical. If you can afford it the GTI is in a different league.  I'm not just saying that as I've ordered one, this is based on my own driving experience.

Why not another Beemer ie. 125d or do you fancy a change?  IMO life's too short to worry about £100 a month if that's what your figures say, so there's only one choice really!!

Matchboy, thanks for the response. I did consider the 125 D......but yeah like you say, fancied a change. I also agree £100??? life is too short. Hopefully the test drives I have planned will show that it is worth it. Best wishes, Si

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2013, 23:10 »
I was in a similar position weighing up between the GTI / GTD / A3 / 1 Series (amongst others!).

For me it eventually came down to the cheaper GTD...or go with my heart and get the GTI.

My mileage varies but I’m currently doing around 15,000 miles a year, of which a good percentage are personal so I can understand the GTD being a persuasive proposition. For me it was game over after the test drive – it had to be the GTI, despite the additional monthly cost!

Cheers for replying Thornster. That is also what im thinking and I think the test drives will prove the GTI is king. Lets see how the drives pan out. Cheers mate. Si

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2013, 23:15 »
I was the same, I had an s-line A3 spec'd up and was ready to sign on the dotted line, then I went on a trackday and drove a GTR Skyline and remembered that driving could be fun, and I ditched the A3 for the GTI.

From my point of view, if I got the A3, I would enjoy it, and wouldn't mind driving it..but I'd be thinking about the GTI a lot.  Whereas, if I had the GTI, I don't think I would think about the A3 at all.  Kind of like going out with Wilma Flintstone, you'd be thinking about Betty Rubble most of the time.. :wink:

Hi Mistertee, yeah that is what im thinking....the A3 and GTD will be like 2nd best! Good point made and similar to the other guys....the class and all round attraction of the GTI seems to be winning out here. Thanks for taking to reply mate. Si

Offline TDI-line

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2013, 21:59 »
The same line up for me also Simon, but i'm coming from an A1 S-line Black Edition 185, and trying to save a few pounds on fuel, so will have to be one of the oil burners.

In the running is Golf GTD DSG(driven both GTD and GTI, and the GTI is awesome) and the A3 Sportback S-line S-tronic 2.00 TDI 150.

But just to throw a spanner in the works, the A3 is available to order with 2.00 TDI 184 S-tronic and Quattro!

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a3/a3-sportback/specifications.html

Bottom line though will come to price and feel, and after owning the previous A3 sportback (which i got bored with driving after 3-4 months), and an R32 and Mk5 Golf 2.00 TDI 4-motion, will be hedging towards the GTD.

At least the golf is heavily specced, unlike the A3 which you always have to add the basic stuff like parking sensors and cruise control.
2019: MK7.5 GTI TCR: DEEP GREY / BLACK ROOF: REIFNITZ PERFORMANCE PACK: DYNAUDIO: AKRAPOVIC: UTR DASHCAMS