Author Topic: Manual 0-60 vs. DSG 0-60  (Read 32369 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Manual 0-60 vs. DSG 0-60
« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2013, 17:22 »
All other mk7 DSG  0-60 runs seem the same.

Possibly this thread is talking about this?
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52202

Also:
http://www.vwgticlub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112924

Ok... it might be something to do with complaints that in S-mode the car would upshift too early on cornering so an adjustment was made.  Stick it in manual and use the paddles and this won't happen.  Can Hardly find anything on the web about this though, is it really happening in every DSG launch control video?  Are they all using S-mode?
« Last Edit: 19 July 2013, 17:32 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2013, 18:27 »
I don't know why you'd want to try a 0-60 run without using the paddles?? That way you can optimise the power and gear change. If you've got DSG use the paddles!!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Running Man

« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2013, 19:10 »
Right boys, when we all eventually get our GTI's, next Spring we race down the Mall, I'm sure Elizabeth (God Save The Queen) will be  :cool: with that.  I mean her ancestors would love it, Brits in German motors   :grin:

I am part German and more part British so it's ok, I will ask her when I see her next week.

Running Man

« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2013, 20:19 »
Her Majesty has spoken.

She is busy for the next week with the impending birth, therefore my idea will not come to fruition.

Sorry if anyone had already planned for this.  I will make it up to you  :smiley:

God save the GTI.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2013, 21:00 »
Why is she spending time on that when she should be calling VW to explain that " one is most displeased"?  Come on let's get our priorities right and all.

Running Man

« Reply #25 on: 19 July 2013, 21:08 »
Why is she spending time on that when she should be calling VW to explain that " one is most displeased"?  Come on let's get our priorities right and all.

Very well said Sir, however Her Majesty Is 'Not Amused' rather than displeased, she will be calling Germany  as soon as possible (commitments pending)

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 19 July 2013, 21:23 »

Very well said Sir, however Her Majesty Is 'Not Amused' rather than displeased, she will be calling Germany  as soon as possible (commitments pending)

Comments duly posted  :smiley:... exactly what will she be calling the Germans?
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 July 2013, 22:19 »
Autocar seem to agree with me the manual will get a quicker 0-60 time:

But it’s only the lack of a decent launch control mode that prevents the GTI from performing better against the clock. With the traction control on, the software regulation is – like so many ASR systems – too heavy-handed for the perfect standing start.

With it off, the gearbox calibration overcompensates, giving you far too much spin at the driving wheels. We’d expect to take at least a couple of tenths off that 0-60mph time in a manual-equipped GTI, putting it there or thereabouts with the likes of the Focus ST and Mégane 265.

Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 19 July 2013, 22:25 »
Autocar seem to agree with me the manual will get a quicker 0-60 time:

But it’s only the lack of a decent launch control mode that prevents the GTI from performing better against the clock. With the traction control on, the software regulation is – like so many ASR systems – too heavy-handed for the perfect standing start.

With it off, the gearbox calibration overcompensates, giving you far too much spin at the driving wheels. We’d expect to take at least a couple of tenths off that 0-60mph time in a manual-equipped GTI, putting it there or thereabouts with the likes of the Focus ST and Mégane 265.

The problem with launching the car with DSG is the lack of AWD on the GTI and hence the initial lack of traction. Therefore the advantage of launch control is negated as a result. If the car had AWD there would be no contest as no human can possibly change gears quicker than an automatic box

Offline AMarsh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 21 July 2013, 21:50 »
I know this thread had been about the GTI, but curious on people's thoughts on the GTD. Does the DSG rev too high taking the engine out of its optimum power band? Are we still talking one shift for the gtd to hit 60 or would it be quicker with two?