Author Topic: Torque of the petrol gti v diesel  (Read 3748 times)

Offline drisser

• I live here
Torque of the petrol gti v diesel
« on: 17 July 2013, 23:37 »
Has anyone noticed in the spec sheets that the petrol gti puts out the same torque as the gtd ?  258 lbs ft.

I am frankly amazed how they have got such torque from a 2 l petrol, not only that but max torque kicks in at lower revs for the petrol, at 1500 rpm and maintains it flat over a wider rev range.

I can't remember any other car where the petrol equalled the diesel for torque in a like for like model.. But when you drive the gti you definitely feel the in gear shove.
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: Torque of the petrol gti v diesel
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2013, 00:02 »
Pretty sure the GTD has 280lbs ft. Despite this its still very impressive from the GTI and certainly noticeable

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2013, 06:38 »
Pretty sure the GTD has 280lbs ft. Despite this its still very impressive from the GTI and certainly noticeable

Yep 280 from the GTD.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2013, 07:13 »
Typo in the new brochure then ! They both say 258 which did sound too coincidental..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2013, 08:53 »
Nope, the PDF brochure I'm looking at says the GTD has 22 lbs.ft of torque over the GTI (258 lbs.ft v 280 lbs.ft).

As you say it's still very impressive for a 2.0l petrol engine... and I shall be exploring every pound of it when it arrives :evil:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2013, 08:59 »
The GTD has more, but the GTI can use more of its torque over a wider rev range.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2013, 09:33 »
Nope, the PDF brochure I'm looking at says the GTD has 22 lbs.ft of torque over the GTI (258 lbs.ft v 280 lbs.ft).

As you say it's still very impressive for a 2.0l petrol engine... and I shall be exploring every pound of it when it arrives :evil:

There is a new golf brochure to download on the vw website.. And the GTD has 258 lb ft on it, someone will be getting shot at VW..  :laugh:

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2013, 10:24 »
There is a new golf brochure to download on the vw website.. And the GTD has 258 lb ft on it, someone will be getting shot at VW..  :laugh:

Perhaps this is why the orders are taking so long.  They had to axe half their staff after all the errors in the brochures and price lists.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2013, 06:12 »
Mind you, expecting a bit more out f my GTD when I get it re-mapped, might even go racing with you GTI boys after I get it done  :tongue:
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2013, 10:06 »
Mind you, expecting a bit more out f my GTD when I get it re-mapped, might even go racing with you GTI boys after I get it done  :tongue:

You'd better make sure the GTI your challenging hasn't been mapped too  :grin:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.