Author Topic: Driving in Europe  (Read 3631 times)

Offline domrees

• Not said much yet
Driving in Europe
« on: 16 July 2013, 20:31 »
Quick question.

With the Gti having xenons, can it adjust the beams for driving on the right, or do I still need to get those stick on adaptors?

Am sure I saw somewhere there was an adjustment in the car menu to change them "electronically"

3dr Manual in Pure White with PP, Dynaudio, Nav and Keyless. Oh and a service pack.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
Re: Driving in Europe
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2013, 20:35 »
Quick question.

With the Gti having xenons, can it adjust the beams for driving on the right, or do I still need to get those stick on adaptors?

Am sure I saw somewhere there was an adjustment in the car menu to change them "electronically"

I am 95% sure it is mandatory to have an electronic adjustment for Bi-xenons
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Running Man

« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2013, 20:37 »
Quick question.

Mate I've driven in Europe a lot and never put those silly stickers on (various cars).  The most important thing is to be carrying the whole first aid, fluorescent jackets, breathalyser stuff etc etc etc.  which I'm sure you know anyway  :smiley:

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2013, 20:50 »
You can change it from Left Hand Traffic to Right Hand Traffic... it's been posted here before.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2013, 21:28 »
You can change it from Left Hand Traffic to Right Hand Traffic... it's been posted here before.

Can confirm you definitely can. I demonstrated it to my dad on his GTD as I knew he was going to take his car over to Bruges on Sunday just gone. Confusingly though it called RHD left hand and LHD right hand (specific to the side of the road rather than the side the steering wheel is on).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2013, 21:30 »

Mate I've driven in Europe a lot and never put those silly stickers on (various cars).  The most important thing is to be carrying the whole first aid, fluorescent jackets, breathalyser stuff etc etc etc.  which I'm sure you know anyway  :smiley:

That's fine if it's light when you drive. You'll face a heavy fine with uncorrected headlights working at night or in poor light though (especially in France - they seem to seek out "GB" cars for checks).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2013, 21:47 »
Quick question.

You dont need a breathalyser in France any more, it's been suspended. A warning triangle is important though. I kept mine from the mk6 along with the 1st aid kit.
GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2013, 22:51 »
if it is like the MK6 then you just select travel mode in the DIS when you are in Europe to switch the lights over.
It keeps reminding you each time you switch the car on just so you don't forget when you get home
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Running Man

« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2013, 23:01 »

That's fine if it's light when you drive. You'll face a heavy fine with uncorrected headlights working at night or in poor light though (especially in France - they seem to seek out "GB" cars for checks).

Not my experience day or night, all the same  :smiley:

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2013, 23:03 »
if it is like the MK6 then you just select travel mode in the DIS when you are in Europe to switch the lights over.
It keeps reminding you each time you switch the car on just so you don't forget when you get home

I never knew that, thanks for sharing......
GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......