Author Topic: GTI fuel rating (95 RON)  (Read 41440 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: GTI fuel rating (95 RON)
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2013, 13:09 »

bill it does not matter if it is a different engine, the car is made to run on 95 so there is your answer, I think you are missing the point

I am suggesting that because of the variable timing the car may see improvements with higher octane.  This is not the case on older GTIs.  I would like to understand if that may is a will or a will not.

The guy on the video makes total sense and you are wasting your money with anything more than 95. I agree I run 5 gti's on 99 then tried them all on 95. Made no difference whatsoever to driving or mileage, it's a complete waste of money.
why does r-tech ask for the car to be run on 98 after a map then  :undecided:

If r-tech changes the compression ratio it might need 98, or they might be telling porkies.

Offline Johnc41

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2013, 13:13 »
Another thing to remember with the higher octane fuels is that they're supposed to be cleaner with various additives, this is the main reason i use v power, i used BP fuel save once (one tank) and there was a noticable difference in the way the car ran, whether or not it affected power output i don't know but it felt worse.

I sometimes use Tesco momentum as well and although it feels like it runs a little smoother there is noticably more carbon build up on the exhaust tips than when using v power, these are my own observations and the reasons v power is my

Oh and Texaco fuel should be banned!! Absolute rubbish! >:(

Regarding the one tank fuel, they say that you would need at least 3 full tanks anyway at least to notice any difference with different fuels, unless there was a problem with the fuel itself, there is no way you could notice any difference on one tank

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2013, 13:15 »

bill it does not matter if it is a different engine, the car is made to run on 95 so there is your answer, I think you are missing the point

I am suggesting that because of the variable timing the car may see improvements with higher octane.  This is not the case on older GTIs.  I would like to understand if that may is a will or a will not.

The guy on the video makes total sense and you are wasting your money with anything more than 95. I agree I run 5 gti's on 99 then tried them all on 95. Made no difference whatsoever to driving or mileage, it's a complete waste of money.

If r-tech changes the compression ratio it might need 98, or they might be telling porkies.
cant see them having the reputation they have with telling porkies  :grin: so it must do something

Offline Johnc41

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2013, 13:20 »

cant see them having the reputation they have with telling porkies  :grin: so it must do something

Like what? My first gti was remapped and as I said has over 100000 mile on it and still runs like a dream, it was remapped after 2000 miles

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2013, 13:20 »
Cat amongst the pigeons. Hehe

I'm with Johnc41 and the original American video - 95 RON all the way "unless" we get conclusive proof that the new GTI Mk7 can take advantage of higher octane fuels using variable compression ratios :nerd:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Johnc41

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 14 July 2013, 13:22 »

Quote from: barrym381 link=topic=256832.msg2357583#msg2357583 date=137380329

[quote author=Johnc41 link=topic=256832.msg2357560#msg2357560 date=1373800989

We'll bill my friend has a new Audi with vvt and he says he has tried it and has noticed no difference in power of fuel consumption
[/quote]

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 14 July 2013, 13:25 »
Another thing to remember with the higher octane fuels is that they're supposed to be cleaner with various additives, this is the main reason i use v power, i used BP fuel save once (one tank) and there was a noticable difference in the way the car ran, whether or not it affected power output i don't know but it felt worse.

I sometimes use Tesco momentum as well and although it feels like it runs a little smoother there is noticably more carbon build up on the exhaust tips than when using v power, these are my own observations and the reasons v power is my

Regarding the one tank fuel, they say that you would need at least 3 full tanks anyway at least to notice any difference with different fuels, unless there was a problem with the fuel itself, there is no way you could notice any difference on one tank

Your obviously correct mate and your opinion is the only one that matters. ::)

Would this be the same "they" that say 99 Ron makes a difference?
« Last Edit: 14 July 2013, 13:27 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Johnc41

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 14 July 2013, 13:28 »

I sometimes use Tesco momentum as well and although it feels like it runs a little smoother there is
noticably more carbon build up on the exhaust tips than when using v power, these are my own observations and the reasons v power is my

Your obviously correct mate and your opinion is the only one that matters. ::)

Sure mate whatever

Offline Johnc41

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 14 July 2013, 13:29 »
I think Jimble your brain is playing tricks with you every time you fill up your car lol

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #29 on: 14 July 2013, 13:30 »
John its still not clear to me what your mk5 running like a dream or your mates audi vvt have to do with the mk7 or octane, I'll be interested if you can explain the relevance.

I will gladly post some proof that some cars see improvement when I get home.  The question is is the mk7 one of them.