Author Topic: Confusion RE MPG  (Read 6660 times)

Running Man

Re: Confusion RE MPG
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2013, 17:44 »
If it did 15mpg would you still feel the same way?

If this was all it could do I wouldn't buy one.  I buy for fun yes, but not at any cost.  To me this is no different than the price tag.  If they were asking £40k I bet everyone of us would buy a M135i instead.  Why should mpg be treated differently?

I wouldn't buy an M135i

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2013, 17:47 »
MPG is important on a GTI since many use will use it as a daily driver which is what it's designed for.

If MPG was of no concern then there are many alternatives available for much less than the cost of a MK7 GTI.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2013, 18:05 »

I'm pretty sure there will be days when it does do 15mpg  :laugh:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2013, 18:25 »

If this was all it could do I wouldn't buy one.  I buy for fun yes, but not at any cost.  To me this is no different than the price tag.  If they were asking £40k I bet everyone of us would buy a M135i instead.  Why should mpg be treated differently?

I wouldn't buy an M135i

I would, it p!sses on the GTI - but is too expensive to buy and run.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Running Man

« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2013, 18:30 »

I wouldn't buy an M135i

I would, it p!sses on the GTI - but is too expensive to buy and run.

and it's completely fugly

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2013, 18:39 »

Need to drive it fast to avoid being recognised!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Running Man

« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2013, 18:40 »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2013, 19:06 »

I like this theory! :laugh:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Andy B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2013, 07:10 »
As a starter of an MPG thread, the things at the back of my mind include:

• Some of us will keep the car we buy for a few years (as much as 10 in our case), and if fuel prices continue to rise, a low MPG will just keep hurting more and more over the years, so the more efficient now, the less cumulative pain!
  • Most of the miles we do will be sat at a constant speed. Frankly, I want to pay as little as possible to be bimbling along in a vast mass of humanity on the M25 at 20mph, and that means good MPG.
  • I hate petrol stations. If your car does twice the MPG with the same tank, you'll visit them half as much!
  • On long journeys, assuming your bladder sphincter muscle can stand it  :shocked: Missing out a fill up is a bit like 500 overtakes. Well, I made that up, but you get the point. Rabbit and tortoise and all that.
  • Finally, in general, I like more efficient things over less efficient things, even if I can afford the less efficient thing. Going for the bigger engine bakes in a bit of inefficiency, so anything the engineers can do to make that effect less profound, the better for me. It's a sort of nerdy technology interest  :nerd:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2013, 07:45 »
As a starter of an MPG thread, the things at the back of my mind include:

• Some of us will keep the car we buy for a few years (as much as 10 in our case), and if fuel prices continue to rise, a low MPG will just keep hurting more and more over the years, so the more efficient now, the less cumulative pain!
  • Most of the miles we do will be sat at a constant speed. Frankly, I want to pay as little as possible to be bimbling along in a vast mass of humanity on the M25 at 20mph, and that means good MPG.
  • I hate petrol stations. If your car does twice the MPG with the same tank, you'll visit them half as much!
  • On long journeys, assuming your bladder sphincter muscle can stand it  :shocked: Missing out a fill up is a bit like 500 overtakes. Well, I made that up, but you get the point. Rabbit and tortoise and all that.
  • Finally, in general, I like more efficient things over less efficient things, even if I can afford the less efficient thing. Going for the bigger engine bakes in a bit of inefficiency, so anything the engineers can do to make that effect less profound, the better for me. It's a sort of nerdy technology interest  :nerd:

Sounds like you want a GTD with a GTI badge.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.