Author Topic: Ride Quality with Santiagos??  (Read 2859 times)

Offline iainmac

• Not said much yet
Ride Quality with Santiagos??
« on: 03 July 2013, 10:21 »
Has anyone driven a golf GTI/GTD with Santiagos fitted?  What was the ride like?  I've ordered these with normal suspension setup but am worried that the ride is going to be awful!!
2008 GT tdi Sport, Reflex Silver, 18" Vancouvers. 
On Order: Mk 7 GTD 5 door manual, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiagos.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Ride Quality with Santiagos??
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2013, 12:09 »
I've ordered the same mate. I haven't driven one with them but I have driven a GTI with 18s in sport mode and it was like sitting in a sofa - so it will be harder on the bigger wheels but I'm not concerned given how good that drive was.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2013, 12:42 »
I've ordered the same mate. I haven't driven one with them but I have driven a GTI with 18s in sport mode and it was like sitting in a sofa - so it will be harder on the bigger wheels but I'm not concerned given how good that drive was.

You don't half want a "hard" set up matey :wink: Why didn't you just order a Caterham 7 and be done with it :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ian,

Too late to pontificate now. It will be a hard ride but as Matchboy says the ride refinement is so good on this new Mk7 I think you'll do fine.

You could always sit on a cushion (Scottish plaid pattern of course).
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2013, 13:32 »
I've been running a set of 19's on my mk6's for two and a half years. There is little difference in ride quality between those and the 18s (I ran several different sets of 18" wheels on my first mk6 so I do have plenty to go on). There is a difference but not a huge one. My 19's are wider and running a different offset to the factory standard too.
As the mk7 is supposedly better riding than a mk6 (I've not had the opportunity to drive a mk7 GTI yet) I would think you will have no problems at all.

In fact I'm planning on probably using the 19's off my mk6 on my mk7 too once I've put some new tyres on them.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2013, 15:36 »
Yeah I agree... The ride quality on the 19"s will only be slight and certainly not "Bone Shattering". I currently have a set of 19"s on my other car and they don't compromise the ride quality whatsoever.

One thing to bear in mind is the cost of tyres. Just for example a Dunlop Sport Maxx (225/40 R18) for an 18" wheel wil set you back around £101. The same Dunlop tyre for a 19" wheel (235/35 R19) will set you back £167...
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline iainmac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2013, 18:31 »
Tanks folks, feel a lot better now - had a sudden case of the horrors and wondered if I had made a huge mistake! I currently have 18" Vancouvers on my Mk 6 GT  - the ride is great so hopefully the 19s will be ok.  I think I will have to have a 'tyre fund' though - what a price!  :shocked:
2008 GT tdi Sport, Reflex Silver, 18" Vancouvers. 
On Order: Mk 7 GTD 5 door manual, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiagos.

Offline rick2b

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 10:09 »
The ride on these rims is nothing to be worried about - unless of course you hit one of the many 4 inch deep potholes that line the highways

Also, beware, they are a pig to clean
Mk7 Golf GTD Oryx White 19''rims 3dr keyless

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 10:21 »
The ride on these rims is nothing to be worried about - unless of course you hit one of the many 4 inch deep potholes that line the highways

Also, beware, they are a pig to clean

That's great to hear!  That was my only very slight concern  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....