Author Topic: project mk2 410  (Read 20228 times)

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: project mk2 410
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2013, 00:45 »
Welcome to the MK2 club...

My son's 1st car was a MK2 (Wonder why!!) Enjoy it and mess with it as much as you want... Then you'll learn that OEM is the way. But we all have to start somewhere and what a good car to start with...

You will find all the help you need on here and no doubt some sarcasm, but take it with a pinch of salt... It's a forum after all...

Enjoy & Learn!!

thanks mate!!

No Problem...

I just wish I could have started with with a MK2 Golf....

I had a 2CV in multi coloured 70's green , took me 10 years to get a Driver (For the ex wife @£3.5K Bargain...) and have owned at least 20 MK2 GTI's since...

As said enjoy and welcome to the club...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2013, 00:49 »
Wise words from X4MGS, I've only been here a month or two and the guys have been stupidly helpful.

And insurance wasn't so bad, I made sure I had the parents as named drivers to lower the risk and it came out at about £900  fully comp 6000 or 8000 (can't remember) miles a year.

Cost my son £900 for a 1.6 driver with him using my 9 years no claims and him as 2nd driver - that was only 3 years ago, but he now has his own GTI and the insurance has drop massively...

You just need time and a GTI will come & look at these years as a learning curve for a MK2...

Offline VWchapman17

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2013, 01:01 »
damn that's cheap.. mines 1100 fully comp!!! with parents as named drivers

will need some tips or advice tomorrow as my car has a weber carb and a manual choke, when I actually start the car it cuts out straight after??

Offline VWchapman17

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2013, 01:04 »

My son's 1st car was a MK2 (Wonder why!!) Enjoy it and mess with it as much as you want... Then you'll learn that OEM is the way. But we all have to start somewhere and what a good car to start with...

You will find all the help you need on here and no doubt some sarcasm, but take it with a pinch of salt... It's a forum after all...

Enjoy & Learn!!

thanks mate!!

No Problem...

I had a 2CV in multi coloured 70's green , took me 10 years to get a Driver (For the ex wife @£3.5K Bargain...) and have owned at least 20 MK2 GTI's since...

at least I done the sensible thing and get a mk2!!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2013, 01:12 »

Enjoy & Learn!!

thanks mate!!

No Problem...

at least I done the sensible thing and get a mk2!!

:afro:

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2013, 01:14 »

will need some tips or advice tomorrow as my car has a weber carb and a manual choke, when I actually start the car it cuts out straight after??

Yeah I was pretty pleased, I couldn't believe it when I realised I could afford a mk2 GTI haha.

Have you used a manual choke before? (http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7993007_use-manual-choke-car.html)
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline VWchapman17

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 28 June 2013, 01:44 »

Yeah I was pretty pleased, I couldn't believe it when I realised I could afford a mk2 GTI haha.

Have you used a manual choke before? (http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7993007_use-manual-choke-car.html)
haha I bet you was!! yeahh I was sort of doing a similar thing anyway! it just revs very low on idle and cuts out, is that just manual choke or do I need to set it right for idle??

Offline VWchapman17

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 28 June 2013, 01:47 »
nevermind! as I just remember that when I had got it warmer after working out the choke it sat fine on idle

Offline Sgt_Lemon

• I live here
  • 8v owners club
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2013, 08:48 »
How many young mk2 owners are on here? I'm 19 and its my second car. It only cost £200 more to insure my gti over my first car, a 1.0L 6n polo.

Offline VWchapman17

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2013, 12:55 »
me and you so far, that's 2 already lol, im sure there is a lot!!