Author Topic: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!  (Read 2483 times)

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Alright guys n gals due to this http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=25213.0 I now feel it's time to upgrade my mini brakes!! as they just don't fill me with confidence all of a sudden. :D

From what I've read you can put 255mm or 280mm front brakes on a pre 89 16 valve but what I don't know is.........

Can I use the existing hubs and carriers?
How to do it?
What I need to do it?
wether I need any special bits and pieces to do it?
what kind of a difference does it make?
Is it going to cost me a fortune and make me swear a lot!

Thanks

Monza


Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline spacedGTI

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 39
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2005, 17:28 »
Read GVK's (CGTI) little guide he wrote. I'd explain it myself, but he has done much better.

http://www.btinternet.com/~gvk_motorsport/biggerbrakes.html

Offline ...joe

  • Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 6,269
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2005, 17:42 »
thats a pretty good write up. tell you all you need to know monza!
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline kniterider

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,857
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2005, 19:34 »
by far the best mod ive done to my car is put g60 brakes on. its quality outbreaking people :cool:

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2005, 10:05 »
Go G60 there the best you will get for the money you have to spend.

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2005, 10:23 »
Cool cheers guys another task to find bits going for 280mm I think like veedubgti16v says it's qaulity outbraking people! and it's nice to be able to stop!

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline ...joe

  • Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 6,269
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2005, 17:45 »
look for a corrado set up. more commonly available.....
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2005, 23:33 »
Good tip which Corrado VR6 16v G60?? Will do some phoning! Cheers Joe :cool:

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline ...joe

  • Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 6,269
Re: Upgrading my puny 239mm brakes to something beefier!!
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2005, 19:18 »
sorry g60 corrado. i know where there is one in a breakers which i'm due to gop to. if the brakes are still there i'll get 'em or you if you want. you going to edition 38?
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe