Author Topic: Tappits  (Read 2024 times)

Offline GolfGiT

• Just got here
Tappits
« on: 12 February 2003, 11:44 »
Does a mk2 gti 8v have hyrdrolic tappets or old style adjustable ones, please help as the tap tap tapping is driving me up the wall and want to know if its cheap adjustment or a head off job

Cheers
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Tappits
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2003, 21:32 »
Hi 'GolfGiT', I think you also asked this question in the 'Mk2' section to which there have been a few posts.
Anyway in answer to your question, they are hydraulic and there is a procedure for testing for wear........if you're interested in it I'll post it for you.
The hydraulic tappets can be replaced without head removal and cost about ?6 each from GSF. Good idea to do the cambelt at the same time if its getting close to needing doing.

Offline yusufg

• Just got here
  • the red plague
Re: Tappits
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2003, 20:30 »
Hi there, ive experienced a similar problem with my MK2 1800 8v with regards to the "tapping".
Like yourself, i suspected the tappets and replaced them all, which did "tone" them down a bit but came nowhere close to eliminating the noise. ??? ??? However, i had the unfortunate luck to have a failed oil pump, which cost me a crank job as well, the car left the workshop silent as brand new. ;D ;D On querying with the mechanic chappie i was told that an "old" oilpump somehow becomes less effective with age and "starves" the upper end of the motor which creates the tapping noise because the tappets run dry. Hope it works for you and it aint too much tom as well, an oil pump here in S. Africa costs us about 10pounds.....

Good Luck Bud................
Very Wicked