Author Topic: HPFP / Mid range torque increase  (Read 3140 times)

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
HPFP / Mid range torque increase
« on: 02 November 2012, 16:13 »
I've had a multitude of advice from Bacillus over the following topic, but would also appreciate all of your opinions on high pressure fuel pumps.

I've been toying with the idea of WMI, HPFP or uprating the turbo on my MKV Gti for about 4 or 5 months now. I've ruled out the turbo, because I'm not prepared to skyrocket towards the 400bhp mark, as a whole host of other work will require doing to make sure that the car has sufficient traction to utilise the power, meaning costs in the thousands!

I'm also a tad wary of WMI, not just because of the £1000+ material and set up costs, but again for just the general idea of increasing bhp by a further 30bhp+ on a 300bhp car that currently just about manages to cope with getting it's power down as it is.

The one thing I'm really interested in is a HPFP, in order to increase mid range torque. At the minute my car is running about 270lbft and I would like to realise between 300-315lbft from 3,000rpm to 5,500rpm. As I understand, this is more than possible with a HPFP and a custom map to tweak the fuel and boost.

One thing I suppose I would like to try and learn is how much can I realistically expect to 'shell out' for a half decent HPFP? And at the same time I don't really want to spend a further £300 on a custom map if I can help it.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance for reading my babble.

:smiley:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: HPFP / Mid range torque increase
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2012, 12:20 »
why not fit a better turbo and just have it mapped to deliver the power how you want it
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2012, 12:26 »
why not fit a better turbo and just have it mapped to deliver the power how you want it

For the reason I stated above (cost) and because my car will struggle with traction. Mid range torque however, can be achieved with a HPFP and that's what I'm after. In a certain rev range, where the car can easily cope with the power without sacrificing traction.

Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2012, 13:26 »
Sounds like you have already made your mind up.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2012, 15:11 »
Sounds like you have already made your mind up.

Yes I have already made my mind up. Like I said in my original post, quoted below...

I've ruled out the turbo, because I'm not prepared to skyrocket towards the 400bhp mark, as a whole host of other work will require doing to make sure that the car has sufficient traction to utilise the power, meaning costs in the thousands!

I'm also a tad wary of WMI, not just because of the £1000+ material and set up costs, but again for just the general idea of increasing bhp by a further 30bhp+ on a 300bhp car that currently just about manages to cope with getting it's power down as it is.

The one thing I'm really interested in is a HPFP........

What I'm asking for is a contribution from people to offer advice and opinions on HPFP's.

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2012, 15:40 »
if you have allready decided there is littel point offering advice or opinion
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2012, 15:45 »
if you have allready decided there is littel point offering advice or opinion

I don't know whether or not I've phrased the question in a different language or something, but all I'm after is advice on HPFP's. There are numerous pumps on the market and I want to know what people think of them.

I included in my original post that I wasn't interested in WMI or an uprated turbo, so that people didn't keep posting saying "don't bother with a HPFP, just get a bigger turbo or WMI".

I then re-iterated again in my last post to 'tweed'...

I've ruled out the turbo, because I'm not prepared to skyrocket towards the 400bhp mark, as a whole host of other work will require doing to make sure that the car has sufficient traction to utilise the power, meaning costs in the thousands!

The one thing I'm really interested in is a HPFP........

What I'm asking for is a contribution from people to offer advice and opinions on HPFP's and HPFP's only

« Last Edit: 04 November 2012, 15:47 by MS1COYS »

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2012, 17:32 »
i agree with what danny has said

better turbo, mapped correct and then add a diff

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2012, 18:38 »

f**k me it seems I can't get my point across efficiently enough. I'm not going to uprate the turbo. I'm not going to get WMI. I am going to get a HPFP, because all I want is extra mid range torque.....  :rolleyes:

I don't want bundles of extra horsepower, because it just simply won't be usable, especially not where I live. I did say all this in my original post and pretty much every post since. Hopefully this doesn't become a recurring theme  :whistle:

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2012, 18:50 »

f**k me it seems I can't get my point across efficiently enough. I'm not going to uprate the turbo. I'm not going to get WMI. I am going to get a HPFP, because all I want is extra mid range torque.....  :rolleyes:

I don't want bundles of extra horsepower, because it just simply won't be usable, especially not where I live. I did say all this in my original post and pretty much every post since. Hopefully this doesn't become a recurring theme  :whistle:

I think that the point the others are trying to make is that if you were to uprate the turbo or add water meth then you could get it mapped to your needs, i.e. no extra power but an increase in mid-range torque.

I know nothing about HPFP's so cannot help with that, although I'd like to know who quoted you £1000 for a WMI kit?

Even the most expensive Devil's Own kit is just over £300....

http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=9f408d9f052e71106ddbdccd0ec3e7a3