Author Topic: Looking for a GTI. This seems cheap. What am I missing?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Portent

• Just got here
Looking for a GTI. This seems cheap. What am I missing?
« on: 03 September 2012, 23:46 »
Firstly hello all :)

I've been looking for mk5 GTI's, possibly an Ed 30. But this mk6 has taken my fancy. Admittedly the mileage is slightly high for the year and apart from the Monzas and leather it has a basic trim level, but it still seems a touch cheap to me for a VW deailer car with warranty etc. Is this a little too cheap and am I missing something? If it's a cracking deal then I might have to seriously consider it even though it's a touch above my intended budget.

I can't seem to link to it but it's:

Steel grey
59 reg
46k miles
Manual
1 owner (private owner, not a hire company etc)
Leather
Monzas
Multi function steering wheel (is this optional or standard on mk6?)
Being sold by a VW dealer, Full VW history, 12 month warranty, etc.
£15k

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2012, 23:48 by Portent »

Offline phil1975

• Not said much yet
  • Candy White 61 Plate Gti
Re: Looking for a GTI. This seems cheap. What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2012, 07:58 »
Hi there, welcome along

I been looking at mk6's for the last few months and saw prices on the volkswagen used car locator dip below £16k a little while ago, so I would think £15k perfectly possible. That is the cheapest mk6 on there, but somebody has to be.

Just looked again and seen what I think you are looking at for £14990, nice looking car! grey is a nice colour especially in the flesh. It may well have been up for more money before and the dealer has just dropped the price to shift it quick before they out source it to a trader.

If you have any doubts pay to have the car inspected, then all the revelant mechanical and financial checks will be done for you. But if wasn't any good the dealer would just put it out to auction.

Just check with the dealer before you go and look at it that its still for sale, as not all dealers are quick removing cars from their website once sold (as I found out the other day :angry:)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2012, 08:37 »
£15k sounds about right for a 3 year old car that's done a few miles.

As a very rough guide, it should be worth around 50% of it's new list price in the trade at 3 years old. So at a guess I'd say is would have been around £25k new, so worth £12.5k now. Add on the dealers costs and profit and it'll be getting back up towards £15k

Check the wheels and make sure they haven't had a cheap re-furb. There are not many that escape damage in that sort of mileage.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2012, 09:36 »
Just had a look and yes that one does look like a very tidy example the only down side is that it doesn't have rear LEDs but that can be sorted by a retrofit after purchase :wink:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Portent

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2012, 10:04 »
Thanks guys. I have seen the car already and it does look good. Obviously there are some small marks but that's to be expected for a 3 year old car and the dealer hadn't prepared it yet. The monzas looked fine. It drove very nicely indeed and was in better connectionism many mk5s I've seen. The mileage isn't a concern because I only do around 6k a year so it will return to average by the time I sell. My first choice of colour too so I will probably go for it.

I've also found previous adverts for it at two higher prices so it does look like it has been reduced as a last fling to sell before moving it to a non franchised dealer.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2012, 10:07 by Portent »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2012, 10:34 »
Don't forget that if you are px'ing, it's the cost to change that matters. Don't get sucked in by the lower screen price, then have your pants pulled down on your trade in price.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2012, 10:38 »
Given its September and new reg time dealer may be wining to clear stock to make way for new, residual wise mk6 GTIs seem to perform way better than 2.0ti roccos

Offline Portent

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2012, 10:42 »
Trade in for mine has been fairly consistent across several dealers and while it's less than I would get privately, is at the top end of what others have quoted me. Yes they gave stock clearance as a reason for the recent price reduction.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2012, 12:25 »
So have you put a deposit down then?
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Portent

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2012, 12:34 »
Yes, I've put down a refundable holding deposit while I check a few things out. But 99% going to buy it. Thanks for the help guys. For only a little more money that I was looking to spend on a mk5 I think this is a better long term bet in terms of both the car and future depreciation compared to the older model.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2012, 12:49 by Portent »