Author Topic: 2003 Golf GT TDI 150 - Advise Needed Please Urgent - Loud Whistle Electronic  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Jayy

• Here all the time
Right guys, after being away for several years, im back in a mk4! Picked up a 03 gt tdi today 150, in pretty good shape, with close to full history. Was all excited until....

When driving there is a loud whistle, I wouldn't say its your normal turbo whistle, in the past I had a 1.8T and it come with a forge dump valve, now it sounds a lot like a electronic dump valve. From what I can tell the car drives fine, boosts fine, pulls well, but it seems like the turbo is kicking in high up the rev range, but the noise is there instant, just with a tap of the accelerator.

Also when on stand still the revs stay on idle under the 1000 mark, then they will raise to 1200 and stay there until i press the accelerator and they will go down again slowly.

Its been on VCDS and:-

Engine faults:

17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62)
17965 - Charge Pressure Control - P1557 - 35 - 10 Positive deviation - Intermittent.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jayy

• Here all the time
Also theres no apparent smoke, on idle or under boost..

Offline Jayy

• Here all the time
Bit more accurate would be a charging sound not whistle.. come on someone help me..

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
First code is self explanatory really isnt it.  Replace the coolant temp sensor  :smiley:

2nd one
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17965/P1557/005463

Id give the car back.....what mileage has the car done??

Peak torque on the 150 is developed higher up the rev range

Any black smoke out the back??

Offline Jayy

• Here all the time
Can't give the car back, terms of sale.

Can't really see any smoke coming out to be honest, ive looked on a lot of forums, its coming up with boost pipes coming off? around the intercooler?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Yeah the lower intercooler pipes pop off for fun.  The lugs wear away.  You can do the self tapper mod or buy new pipes at around £50 or so each; might be more  :undecided:

Worst case is sticky turbo vanes......

Offline Jayy

• Here all the time
Yeah the lower intercooler pipes pop off for fun.  The lugs wear away.  You can do the self tapper mod or buy new pipes at around £50 or so each; might be more  :undecided:

Worst case is sticky turbo vanes......

Self tappings enough as long as its not split somewhere silly, from what i've said what would your personal opinion be?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Is the sound a little like a siren??

Offline Jayy

• Here all the time
Is the sound a little like a siren??

I would say so, siren/electronic dump valve..

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Mine whistle's till about 2500-2800 also dumps like a good un has done for 110k
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...