Author Topic: What is this for?  (Read 8977 times)

Offline oceanic-green

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 1.8T Aum 260+ Bhp 273 TQ
Re: What is this for?
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2012, 07:46 »
lookin at the pipes that looks all wrong, that pipe you have arrowed should be connected to the throttle body with a T piece and the other side run up toward the firewall and into the TIP, looks like someone has either done some DIY  :laugh: noticed the blue silicone going into a black pipe is that for a boost gauge?

take lots more pics of the bay from close and far because it looks like someone has connected pipes into things that shouldnt be from the pics I can see  :huh:

Oh Oh sh!te, really !!  :huh:  :shocked: Well it wasn't me. I have not touched anything on that side of the bay. I will take some pictures later when I get a chance and post them up. Thanks mate  :smiley:

My engine is an Aum, could it be a different set up to the other golf 1.8t engines?

Yes that blue into black is for the boost gauge
« Last Edit: 10 July 2012, 07:48 by oceanic-green »
Mods: R-Tech custom remap, Beachbuggy K250 Turbo, Forge 007 DV, RAMAIR Jetstream 108 induction filter, silicone piping throughout, R-Tech Supersize TIP, 42 Draft Stealth Catch Can, N249 bypass, Ported Manifold, Toyo Sports FMIC with 2 & 1/2 pipes, Custom made full turbo back exhaust & 2 & 1/2 " downpipe and 200 cell sports cat. BAM injectors, Turbosmart Boost Gauge, BBS CK Wheels, 312mm Brembo front discs and pads, Carbon canister delete and last of all, a liquid cube!

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2012, 08:50 »
I wouldnt worry about it as yes some engine codes are different routeing of the pipes, Its been running ok up to now so dont worry too much  :wink:

Get the pics posted and we can have a look

Pretty much all the piping is under the inlet manifold or connected to the TIP, so you should be able to trace it back to one of those points, most common causes for leaks are the N249 and N112 tubing (the maze under the inlet) and I noticed when I removed my carbon canister I got more boost (guessing one of the pipes had a split) and the last major place is the PCV system, so get a catch can ordered if you haven't all ready done that.
looking at the pic, I would also run a single piece of silicone into the boost gauge, this way its one less connection to cause a leak
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline oceanic-green

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2012, 11:01 »
I wouldnt worry about it as yes some engine codes are different routeing of the pipes, Its been running ok up to now so dont worry too much  :wink:

Get the pics posted and we can have a look

It hasn't been running ok up until now  :sad: After I had a service about 6-7 months ago, it was great, then I had the tip fitted shortly afterwards, and it wasn't normal again, I then eventually got the 5 piece turbo silicone hose kit fitted, (by myself) and it was fine again  :smiley: but only for a few days, then it all went wrong again for no apparent reason, except that I must of developed a boost leak somewhere, so I had the charge pipe and hose changed for an agu one, and then I fitted a Venom induction kit, and did the catch can. None of this made it like it should be! So I then did the N249 bypass, and again it has still not fixed it  :sad:

So here we are with some pictures as requested. I hope they help  :smiley:

The pipe above pointed out with the arrow connects to this metal pipe on the intake manifold that my finger is pointing to in picture below

it comes out here where arrow points to in picture below

It goes to here, see picture below with arrow

Here is a picture of my N249 delete pipe work from under the metal plate
« Last Edit: 10 July 2012, 11:07 by oceanic-green »
Mods: R-Tech custom remap, Beachbuggy K250 Turbo, Forge 007 DV, RAMAIR Jetstream 108 induction filter, silicone piping throughout, R-Tech Supersize TIP, 42 Draft Stealth Catch Can, N249 bypass, Ported Manifold, Toyo Sports FMIC with 2 & 1/2 pipes, Custom made full turbo back exhaust & 2 & 1/2 " downpipe and 200 cell sports cat. BAM injectors, Turbosmart Boost Gauge, BBS CK Wheels, 312mm Brembo front discs and pads, Carbon canister delete and last of all, a liquid cube!

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2012, 12:27 »
First off - get rid of the clutter - you have left the hardlines in even though both ends arent connected, rip it out, the more room you in the bay the more you can see/work on.

Get rid of the SAI - frees up loads of room with those horrid corrugated pipes

run the black boost gauge piping across the firewall to over near the tip and then T into whichever vac you want

Get rid of the carbon canister, again less piping = less chance of leaks

I'll post some pics later of mine and then you can see how mine is, but bear in mind mine is ARZ
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 10 July 2012, 13:05 »
is that an AUM?

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline mikemk4gti

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 10 July 2012, 13:07 »
Yes, third pic down its stamped on the head ;)

51 mk4 gti 1.8t AUM | 05 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line | 01 A3 1.8t Sport | 02 Golf 25th Anni 1.8T | 03 mk4 GTI AUQ | 05 Leon Fr TDI 150 | mk2 golf gti 8v | 01 Audi S3
Back in my old MK4 '01 AUM!
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/400214.aspx
VagCom, VagTacho, MTE, Needles, Key coding, Locked beeps etc availab

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 10 July 2012, 13:37 »
ahhh missed that, so just to clarify, everything Oceanic-Green has done just removes pointless hoses and simplyfies the engine bay?
i mean, the whole story of Carbon canisters, N249 delete, SAI's remove etc. will that just improve engine response etc and will it throw up codes?

edit: will not be removing SAI's as i read you'd faily emission testing?
« Last Edit: 10 July 2012, 14:16 by GTi_James »

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline oceanic-green

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2012, 15:36 »
First off - get rid of the clutter - you have left the hardlines in even though both ends arent connected, rip it out, the more room you in the bay the more you can see/work on.

Yes ok I see your point, but I am not sure how they come off!

Get rid of the SAI - frees up loads of room with those horrid corrugated pipes

run the black boost gauge piping across the firewall to over near the tip and then T into whichever vac you want

Get rid of the carbon canister, again less piping = less chance of leaks

I'll post some pics later of mine and then you can see how mine is, but bear in mind mine is ARZ

I don't want to get rid of the SAI because as someone else mentioned I would fail emission test.

Good idea about the boost gauge line, I will run it from the dv.

I would get rid of the carbon canister, but I can't see how to do it for the Aum, as the guide on here is for the AGU, and mine is set up different. I can't see where it joins to the tip!

thanks i would like to see how yours looks

Thanks

Offline jamie1989

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2012, 16:10 »
I would get rid of the carbon canister, but I can't see how to do it for the Aum, as the guide on here is for the AGU, and mine is set up different. I can't see where it joins to the tip!

As you look at the carbon canistor the pipe will split "right" to the inlet manifold then "left" towards the bulk head, across the bulk head, down to the bottom of the turbo intake pipe.
The first take off on the turbo intake pipe should the one connecting the carbon canistor mate.

I totally agree ripping all the pointless pipes out will make alot more room to work with.

1.6-1.8t AGU K03s, Forge actuator, Forge 007p, turbo back exhuast, Ths front mount, Catch can, 5 piece silicone boost pipes and creation sports tip. Stage 2 atm 232bhp 270lbs. Waiting for custom mapping :-)

Offline oceanic-green

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2012, 17:47 »

As you look at the carbon canistor the pipe will split "right" to the inlet manifold then "left" towards the bulk head, across the bulk head, down to the bottom of the turbo intake pipe.
The first take off on the turbo intake pipe should the one connecting the carbon canistor mate.

Sorry I am not that mechanically minded, still learning  :smiley: but if the bulkhead is the back of the engine where the turbo is, then my carbon canister pipe does not go left that way, as I shown in my pictures. It goes to a metal pipe along the the inlet manifold next to the fuel rail, and out the other side where it connects via a blue silicone pipe (as I point out in the next picture) to another metal pipe, which disapeares out of sight