Author Topic: How can I replace head gasket myself?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline ImpactUK

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2012, 13:45 »
I understand the head must be skimmed, however a lot of people are speculating that it will happen again unless i put a different engine in which is making me unsure of whether to put a different, used head on. Seems cheaper and easier than replacing the whole engine.
Can someone clarify this?

Thanks javalin, you're the first person to help me understand what i have to do instead of suggesting i put a different engine in haha
While its off, do you suggest i replace the cam belt too? I've heard this is a VERY difficult job to undertake, but i assume it will be easier once i've basically got the head off.

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2012, 13:55 »
>While its off, do you suggest i replace the cam belt too?
its like anything - cambelt is easy if you know what you're doing.  The 8v is easy, and there are good guides around.  However if you get it wrong, you will be putting a new engine in....  Yes always replace the belt & tensioner if it comes off.

>I understand the head must be skimmed
yes - my understanding is that its always a good idea if the head is off.

I don't see the logic of shoving another second hand engine in that you don't know the history of.  I also don't see why it should happen again unless there is an underlying fault with your current engine.  There is no guarentee that the replacement engine HG won't go next year of course.

A headgasket change is easier in my book than a whole new engine, and at least you know where you are with the current one.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2012, 14:01 »
Get a flat piece of something, some fine sand paper and spend a few hours skimming it yourself.

I did mine one night, constantly rubbing a course paper over the head - if the head is perfect flat then the coarse paper will scratch everywhere! Then re-do the fine paper again. I know I only saved £47 and there's a head shop right near my work but that isn't the point, I tried it and got satisfaction out of doing it myself.

Cambelt - your taking head of therefore your removing the belt so you would be a fool not to replace. You will also need head bolts as you can't reuse. Euro charge £36 go 21 bolts (vr) so I'd assume it will be cheape for a gti

Make sure your crank is at TDC before touching the belt... Or anything for that matter
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2012, 14:03 »
And if you decide to donut yourself you'll also need a valve compressor (stick each valve in polystyrene and mark them up)

Lap your valves - paste and tool cheap and easy

Stem seals - again cheap and easy
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #14 on: 05 July 2012, 14:06 »
Note that you don't need to do any head work for a head gasket, apart from skimming.

I would take to a machine shop personally.
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline ImpactUK

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2012, 14:09 »
Ahaha well the issue is that i don't really know what i'm doing, but i wouldn't mind learning. What possible ways can it go wrong?
Also, i've only had the car 5 days... so i don't really know the exact history of it other than looking at the service history.

I'm not sure i'd feel extremely comfortable skimming it myself, as i don't know if its cracked or buggered beyond repair.
Valve compressor? LAP MY VALVES?! Please dont say i HAVE to do this?! I already feel like im in over my head :grin:

EDIT:
Thank god, i was about ready to just whip out the cash and take it to the garage if i had to do all of that haha

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #16 on: 05 July 2012, 14:11 »
sounds like you are.  Perhaps best to get it done by the garage, and start learning with some servicing work (oil change, water change, plugs etc).

If you get this wrong its new engine time, and a fair bit of time and expense doing it too.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline ImpactUK

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2012, 14:19 »
I can easily service my car and play with ancillaries, its just when it comes to the main block where i get confused as if i get stuck i don't really have anyone there to tell me how to do it right. I've never fiddled with internals before and I don't wanna balls it up

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2012, 14:20 »
>I've never fiddled with internals before and I don't wanna balls it up
read the haynes manual section and see what you think then.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline ImpactUK

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: How can I replace head gasket myself?
« Reply #19 on: 05 July 2012, 14:25 »
Will do when i get off work,
Thanks for your help so far! Seriously appreciated