Author Topic: Shaun's Rusty Bed On Wheels Takes Him Away On A Trip  (Read 39184 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
No experience with either?

Never owned either.

Experience and ownership are different... But then I have no experience of campers, (apart from when I was very young) and I still know stuff.   Anyway, your blankety blank chequebook and pen are in the post.

hasnt alan had alternator issues  :laugh: :grin:

Yep,  I can't put what I want to say on here in case he reads it!  :grin:

Offline Mitching

• I live here
Nice one!
My dad had a T25 camper (B reg, same burgundy colour as the front of yours)
His had the folding type roof that folded to the side and had a canvas wall that turned the roof into a double and single bed. It also had a full camper interior including fridge and stove. Loved that van.

He recently sold it for £1500 :sad:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Nice one!
His had the folding type roof that folded to the side and had a canvas wall that turned the roof into a double and single bed. It also had a full camper interior including fridge and stove. Loved that van.

Really, what kind of condition was it in, I would have bought it!  1500 is cheap.

Offline Mitching

• I live here
Nice one!

Really, what kind of condition was it in, I would have bought it!  1500 is cheap.
Mostly cosmetic IIRC
Rust on the arches, which had been treated then painted, but the paint didn't quite match...
Interior was a little bit scruffy, and the canvas tent for the roof was a bit ripped in places.
I think there were engine issues too but I'm not sure what exactly.
Still. he sold it to the carpenter who owns the yard round the back of his house so the camper's still in exactly the same place!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Nice one!

Mostly cosmetic IIRC
Rust on the arches, which had been treated then painted, but the paint didn't quite match...
Interior was a little bit scruffy, and the canvas tent for the roof was a bit ripped in places.
I think there were engine issues too but I'm not sure what exactly.
Still. he sold it to the carpenter who owns the yard round the back of his house so the camper's still in exactly the same place!

Seems like a fair price then.  Mine has had the rear quarters and arches recently replaced but the front arches are fecked and need replacing. What engine does it have?

Would do my head in to sell it to someone so close I think.  Watching someone fix it up and then realise you want it back.  :grin:

Offline Mitching

• I live here
Think it was a 1.9 engine.

He had to sell it to help fund his motorbike trip to Mongolia (which he's on now)
My step mum was telling me how she heard the van fire up the other week and it made her sad!

The thing that worries me is that neither my dad nor the bloke he sold it to are the types to restore something.
They both will just bodge it to keep it going until there's nothing left to bodge, which is a shame because my mum bought it originally about 10 years a go and it was great, then she sold it to my dad which is when things started to go wrong :rolleyes:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Think it was a 1.9 engine.

He had to sell it to help fund his motorbike trip to Mongolia (which he's on now)
My step mum was telling me how she heard the van fire up the other week and it made her sad!

The thing that worries me is that neither my dad nor the bloke he sold it to are the types to restore something.
They both will just bodge it to keep it going until there's nothing left to bodge, which is a shame because my mum bought it originally about 10 years a go and it was great, then she sold it to my dad which is when things started to go wrong :rolleyes:

Oh dear... Shame.. You should buy it back for yourself!  :cool: Sounds like it has the same motor as mine.  Water cooled  boxer.. Seem like pretty simple motors to work on so far with what I've had to do to it....

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Been busy on the Golf the this thread hasn't had much action... However, it's been out and about quite a bit and is running really well now...

I have started to get some parts for it.

Found someone who was breaking an old V8 converted show van.  Took it's doors and dash tidy... Both of which need work but the doors are in better condition that what I've got at the moment, also it means I can work on them without paralysing the van.

Dash tidy is essential in these as there is nowhere to put anything, especially drinks.... Often they go for silly money, found mine for 99p but it does need some attention!

Also found a better tailgate for it for a good price, also needs work but far less than the one it's got.

People sell parts for these for crazy money, I just refuse to pay it!

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
just stick them orange ones on - NOW  :laugh: :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
just stick them orange ones on - NOW  :laugh: :grin:

:laugh:  You reckon!?

They're not as tidy as they look in the pics..   Although at least the tints match the back of the van, probably too dark to be nice to drive with and may not even be legal........  :undecided: