Author Topic: Yippee... I've got another Mk2 + Engine Re-build!  (Read 1207 times)

Offline knobby

• I live here
Hi Guys

I've just brought another Mk2 Golf GTI 8v, found another bargain, its a 1990, done 150k and i brought it for 300 quid. Needs a little work though + and MOT! (he he) Its great to be back driving a MK2, the Mk3 was alright but nothing like a MK2.. Can discribe the feeling but the MK2's really do put a smile on your face when u drive them.

anyways on to the important bit, got a couple of probs i'd like some advice on if thats possible. they are as follows

Ok, when i'm driving the car, is fine on about half throttle, then when i put my foot flat to the floor, it sounds like its got fuel issues and its jumpy, but still accerlates just not smoothly. Had a look in the engine bay today, and i cleaned out the throttle bodies, they were full of oil, (think previous owner over filled the oil) while i was cleaning the throttle body i noticed that one of the senors was not connected, not its had to see if these wires have been cut on purpose or if its just come loose. I have included a picture below, the red circle is the location of the socket, does this sensor tell the ECU when the car is on full throttle and that the second butterfly in the throttle body is open?? if so could this be the cause to my problem???

Problem two..
The car is a little smokey, not sure if its where the previous owner has over filled the oil or if the rings are shot or the oil stem seals are shot or both. So my thoughts are to do a top end rebuild, sort out tappets, rings and oil seals, while im here i wonder what else people would recommend i do. The car has a full magnex exhaust system and a Pipercross Induction kit (this might be coming off soon), I was thinking of changin the cam to a race one but i hear this can lead to a rough idle. I'm thinking of skimming the head, and having the top end gas flowed. I am a semi competant DIY Mach, but have people in the know who can help out, just need some MK2 experts to give me some pointers. (any guildes on how to do any of the above would be great..  :wink:)

Some feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance.

Cheers

Dave
 :smiley:

This is my new golf, it needs some work but its got potential i think, as soon as ive sorted out the engine etc. Onto getting new front end and wheels.. Yippee!!! treat it to some Ronal Turbo's me thinks (watcha recon?)

Old VW's never die...they just go faster!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Yippee... I've got another Mk2 + Engine Re-build!
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2005, 09:19 »
That plug is for both the idle and the WOT switches, with it disconnected the idle wont be right and when you put your foot down not much will happen :)

The idle switch is underneath the throttle body, you have to take the inlet off to get to it (which you've already done ;) )  Just plug it back in and it should be alot better  :grin:

Have you checked the oil?  If its too full then drain it all out and refill with proper synta silver and fit a new genuine oil filter.  Then clean out all the breather pipes and check the grill under the rocker cover breather isn't blocked.  If it still smokes after all that then its almost defo going to be the valve stem seals, but its possible the piston rings are gone.

Does it smoke on 1st startup and puff out when you boot it?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2005, 09:51 »
Thanks for the reply...

OK changed the oil and filter, oil light has gone out. think previous owner over filled the oil. this may be part of the smoking problem. Know anywhere u can buy more breather hose???

With regards to the Idle and full throttle switch ive jsut gotta wire it back together and i think all will be fine.. Got more problems at the mo though. it just failed it MOT.

Rear brake regulator is ceased.. Not sure if i can un-cease it or if it needs replacing.. Know anything about these??

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2005, 10:01 »
Well I know what they do and where they are :)

Try spraying it with a ton of WD40 and wiggle it about, see if it frees itself.  Its bolted to the rear beam and should move up with the beam as more weight is transfered to the rear of the car.  If its been lowered chances are the regulator wasn't set up properly, especially since numpty boy couldn't even mange to do the oil without overfilling it ;)

It should be set up so that the slack is just taken out of the mech when the car is sat with the normal load at the back, i.e. empty boot, no passengers etc.

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2005, 10:06 »
Thanks for the reply....

when i rack the car up the spring is totally loose... i surely this should still have a little load on it when rear end is jacked up. Its solid, wont move at all.. gonna do as u said and cover it in WD40 and wiggle it loads... Back out into the rain i go.. Cheers for the help.. Dave

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2005, 10:15 »
It shouldn't have any load when the rear is in the air, the regulator works by moving more braking force to the rear as more weight is transfered to the rear i.e. when the beam moves upwards.  It should be totally closed (minimum braking force to the rear) as soon as the rear wheels come off the ground :)

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2005, 10:48 »
Yeah it is.. no load at all.. U can pull the spring up and down when read end is in the air... Basically the paddle part that pivots on part which the brake lines come and in and out of is ceased, its totally rusty, ive undone the bolt which holds this part on and it wont move. think the bit that allows it to pivot is rusted sold.. Umm.. Any thoughts..

Cheers

Dave

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2005, 13:03 »
bit OT but silver big bumper golfs are hen's teeth, and i think one of the nicest colours by far in them.

just get another rear brake compensator, thats the easiest solution

Offline capoot

• Here all the time
  • Mk1 Skoda Octavia VRS
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2005, 21:22 »
how much you want for the front end?! lol  :grin:

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2005, 21:37 »
Hi mate.. Make me an offer if you like.. Mail me golf@getripped.co.uk.

Cheers

Dave