Author Topic: Close to sticking one leg out and pushing  (Read 1153 times)

Offline vdubdave91

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Close to sticking one leg out and pushing
« on: 16 June 2012, 08:19 »
Got a issue with my reverse gear. By issue I mean when on the lanes I pretty much have to refuse to back up for people as its more painful than tearing out my finger nails. I have worked out if I keep popping it to the biting point and slow revs I can edge her backwards slowly on the flat.

Basically I need a new box unless someone has the same living nightmare in reverse and has sorted it without a complete gearbox change ?

Any comments are better than non, thanks

It's a 97 8v , 90k gti

Offline geeksteve

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 84
Re: Close to sticking one leg out and pushing
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2012, 10:50 »
Uh, what actually happens/doesn't if you try to reverse normally?... Movement, noises etc.

Offline vdubdave91

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Re: Close to sticking one leg out and pushing
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2012, 19:01 »
After putting it into reverse it stays in gear for the few seconds untill you clutch past the biting point . It then pops out and screams / grinds. Not too much of a problem getting it into any of the gears but it throws out of reverse allot .

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Close to sticking one leg out and pushing
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2012, 22:00 »
Sounds like you need a new box if it is jumping out.