Author Topic: Pain in the arse going in gear!  (Read 1262 times)

Offline robo22sri

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
Pain in the arse going in gear!
« on: 15 June 2012, 16:21 »
I keep having issues with going in 1st 2nd and 3rd!

I was approching a round about the other day and had come to a stand still put my foot down on the clutch and put it in 1st and crunch :(

like the slave cylinder is fubar, the clutch is not ridding and the biting point is ok but its just crap going in gear :(

Offline Willo

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Pain in the arse going in gear!
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 16:32 »
Could try a linkage repair kit mate

Offline robo22sri

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
Re: Pain in the arse going in gear!
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 16:35 »
Could try a linkage repair kit mate

I should say its a vr6 engine, where could i look for a linkage repair kit?


Offline GolfGL

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 679
Re: Pain in the arse going in gear!
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2012, 21:08 »
If the gear lever has an adjuster losen it in 1st and rotate. if not check the cables or possible the box needs replacing
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline danmusic24

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 623
Re: Pain in the arse going in gear!
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2012, 09:59 »
Had a issue on 16v where 1st and reverse were a nightmare getting into gear.after a good look round I found a brittle piece of plastic that fits through the end of top cable and onto the tower.got a new bit from vw main dealer which said it was a common prob.fitted it,job done! No slack on gear stick and all gears engage as they should.