Author Topic: Springs question  (Read 1904 times)

Offline georgeIII

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Springs question
« on: 11 June 2012, 21:43 »
I bought a set of springs from a golf MK3 cabriolet, are they fit on my gti 16v?

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: Springs question
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2012, 21:46 »
I have a Cabrio and I have been told by loads of suppliers that GTi coilovers and lowering kits do not fit.

So I should think that Cabrio springs will not fit a GTi :sad:

Offline georgeIII

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Re: Springs question
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2012, 21:51 »
the front have the same part number but different colour code, the rear have different part number and colour code but both of them get the same absorbers. The cabrio is a 2.0L AGG.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Springs question
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2012, 21:55 »
Cabrio and hatch are the same, only difference is that the rear springs on a cabrio are heavier duty due to the weight of the hood.

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: Springs question
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2012, 22:02 »
So most suppliers don't know what they are talking about, I thought that the rear beam was the same. :rolleyes:

Offline georgeIII

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 10
Re: Springs question
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2012, 22:03 »
Thank you!! I wish to not have any problem with them

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Springs question
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2012, 22:05 »
Thank you!! I wish to not have any problem with them
So most suppliers don't know what they are talking about, I thought that the rear beam was the same. :rolleyes:

Well I know 100% estate is different, hatch and cabrio I am sure are the same apart from different spring rates.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Springs question
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2012, 09:38 »
The particular Weitec ultra GT suspension kit that I had was designed to fit TDI's & Cabrios only. TDI's obviously heavier engines and I'm assuming the Cabrio has a heavier bulkhead/ firewall for rigidity.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Springs question
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2012, 09:48 »
I took the springs off my 16v as they were too stiff and the front end sat higher than the rear. I replaced them with proper 16v Eibach Sportlines.