Author Topic: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem  (Read 2544 times)

Offline scooter perv

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« on: 07 June 2012, 20:40 »
Ppl I need a bit of advice. 80 mile trip last month my clutch went and nasty scrapping noise and wouldnt go into gear easily. Got it done at reputable garage and they said thrust bearing went. Been using it for pottering about but done the same trip today and doing 75ish it popped out of 5th gear and wouldnt sit in 5th at all after about 40 miles into trip and now nasty noises,(rumbling) wont go into gear easily and had some nasty burning smells. Took it back to garage and theyve asked me to drop it in tomorrow for investigation. I asked about gearbox oil and they said they change it when they do clutch. Just been out and undone the oil filler 17mm nut and feels dry inside and cant feel any oil at all but the residue smells burnt. Im thinking that they forgot to fill the gearbox up after doing clutch. Where do I stand and what should I do to make sure they admit fault if it is their fault.? pretty gutted ask clutch skinted me out.
   

Offline sharki786

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,705
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2012, 21:05 »
well if they 4got to fill it up then its on their head
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Luke1981

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 530
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2012, 21:10 »
I'm sure a reputable garage would cough up straight away if it was their fault. Let them do an investigation first and if your not happy get a second opinion. Be  firm but fair with them.
Report back after their investigation. Good luck
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline scooter perv

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2012, 21:36 »
cheers guys,,,just a bit gutted to be honest. Only had the car a few months but we love it even though its a satin black sh!tter and im hoping that if they find no oil in there that their honest and put it right cos Im so friggin skin after paing £320 for the clutch that im worried I wont find a decent gearbox at a good price if they say its not their problem and I have to sort it. Will keep ya posted on outcome  :cry:

Offline scooter perv

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2012, 14:36 »
Well you`d think that a garage with any sort of rep would sort it out??? no.

 Took it back this morning and they put it on ramps and then they pointed out some oil residue under gearbox and told me I had a leak. Turns out there wasnt a drop of oil in gearbox when they topped it up it took 1 1/2 litres. He told me yesterday that they had changed the oil but now saying that they didnt touch the oil as the driveshafts have couplings that does not disturbe gearbox oil..fair enough but they certainly didnt check the level for me to have lost that much in 6 weeks without noticeing it. He tried to point out that it was pissing out when it he topped it up but I saw nothing leaking but then after questining told me that nothing they have done will have caused it and to take it away and if the gearbox is ok they will order a seal for me.
 Took car away and gears are much easier but still the faint wining when driving and ocassionally stiff to get in gear so I think the gearbox is f**cked. I know its and old car but its only done a genuine 34 thousand miles and the best gearbox Ive had in a golf..sorry..was!
 So get home and let the wife know the outcome and shes not happy. Phoned them to ask would they sort it out and was polite in her way of asking and the bloke told her to f**ck off, he`s washing his hands of it and we cant prove theyre at fault...very nice customer service.
 Now looking for a decent abd gearbox for a 1.4 golf  :undecided:

Offline scooter perv

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2012, 14:39 »
Oh and then I popped over to see a mate who runs a garage (he couldnt fit the work in and I was desperate for the clutch sorting) and hes told me that yes the gearbox is sealed when they take driveshafts off but they always check the level of oil and refill/change if needed. There would be no way of loosing that amount of oil in 6 weeks without noticing it and it looks like they havent checked the level. I think that they may have disturbed the seal but no evidence of oil on floor.

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2012, 20:29 »
I would have thought if you'd lost that amount of oil from the gearbox there would be oil everywhere from driving the wind flow under the car would blow oil down the underside of the car. You would have been pointed this out ofcourse and you would have seen the oil stains flowing from the gearbox towards the rear of the car, plus the bottom of the gearbox would have shown signs of the oil leak too. I take it they showed you all of this, an oil leak is a messy business with stains in your parking space, the area of the source of the leak and then the trail of the oil flow. One and half litres can go a long way!!!

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2012, 23:59 »
^I agree with this, you'd have g/box fluid all over the place if you had a leak that bad.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2012, 11:19 »
If the problem with the box wasn't there before then i would suggest they have drained the oil, and forgot to refill it..
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Gearbox/ clutch/garage problem
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2012, 11:21 »
If the problem with the box wasn't there before then i would suggest they have drained the oil, and forgot to refill it..
Tough one to prove though. :sad: