Author Topic: Good idea or will it look stupid?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Good idea or will it look stupid?
« on: 06 June 2012, 20:22 »
Right, I'm planning on doing a 16v conversion on my 1.6. I've got a corrado cable shifter and I'm thinking of using it, (shorter throw) and I starting thinking about mounting it on top of the tunnel Insted of under it.

This is what I'm thinking.

Have no center console and maybe fit a mk4 arm rest then have something like this





But mount the shifter on top of the tunnel,

Here's the shifter



I'd carpet the sides of it and then make a little box out of ally to cover the shifter internals.

My reasoning for this would be coz it would look cool, and also the gears tick would be closer to the wheel for quicker shifting.

Whatd you rekon.
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline 67buggers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 727
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2012, 20:24 »
It'd look cool, let me know how you get on with the conversion it's on my list!


I fix iPhone's and iPod's, I can fix most faults call me on 07811344816 for a quote

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2012, 20:26 »
It'd look cool, let me know how you get on with the conversion it's on my list!

Cheers. Will do but I'm only 'planning' the conversion ATM due to funds. First thing I'm doing is uprating the brakes
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2012, 20:29 »
Think it will look good if done right....but wont your gearstick be up by your stereo like a drifters handbrake  :grin:


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2012, 20:33 »
Think it will look good if done right....but wont your gearstick be up by your stereo like a drifters handbrake  :grin:

Yh wou
D mock it up first and see what it looks like. I rekon it would be level/bit lower then heater controls
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2012, 20:36 »
Also you could mod the selectors on the new box for a shorter throw. I done it DIY style on my Leon and there is litterally 2 inches between first and second!!


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2012, 20:37 »
Also you could mod the selectors on the new box for a shorter throw. I done it DIY style on my Leon and there is litterally 2 inches between first and second!!

That would be cool!
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2012, 20:40 »
Its is cool....and I get great amusement once a year when taking it for an mot and watching the tester trying to move it thinking he's getting no gears. Its rediculously short!!


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2012, 20:41 »
Its is cool....and I get great amusement once a year when taking it for an mot and watching the tester trying to move it thinking he's getting no gears. Its rediculously short!!

 :grin: :grin:  how did you make the throw shorter?
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Good idea or will it look stupid?
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2012, 20:48 »
Just drilled a hole in the selector closer to the pivot point and used a nut and bolt to hold the cable. I drilled closer than I was supposed to hence the throw but never had any issues with. Also uprated the rubbers in the end of the cables by using and hard rubber bush I had in the garage. I don't drive it hard much these days but when i first did it I felt proper good. Changing gear with a flick of an index finger  :grin: You can't do that mod with side to side movement but sure you can buy something for that.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0