Author Topic: turbo?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: turbo?
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2012, 16:10 »
I didnt dare ask but my knowledge of what the parts roughly cost i would be surprised if there was any change from around 3 - 3.5 grand i could also be a fair way off tho, no internal modifications required, although will be running digital in car boost controller with preset boost pressures for each gear & on the move adjustment, had new chains & guides fitted also along with a 5mm spacer to give the lower compression ratio.

Oh dear...just a spacer.
Not the route I'd go, considering the VR6's ability to run hot.
Things tend to melt...

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: turbo?
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2012, 16:15 »
Oh dear...just a spacer.
Not the route I'd go, considering the VR6's ability to run hot.
Things tend to melt...

yes i said this, but was met with, its a throw away engine, theres another 2 on the rack over there... when it goes it'l be built back up with forged internals no doubt..... who am i to argue its not my project, i was just tea boy on that day...

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: turbo?
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2012, 17:28 »
People run 500bhp+ on standard internals .... vr6 obviously, without issues.

But they suffer the cylinder number5 over heating problem FI or not. My mate has a cyl5 piston souvenir from his vrt
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: turbo?
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2012, 17:31 »
Im glad you've said that my good sir!  :cool:

I was starting to think i had dreamt hearing it somewhere :laugh:

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: turbo?
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2012, 17:58 »
vr6 have strong internals... but running silly power will sooner or later make something go broke  :grin:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: turbo?
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2012, 18:37 »
I looked into the vr6 turbo route. Made a list and was going all out 3.0 block etc. Spoke to a lot of people across the pond and they said I would get 550whp. Complety undriveable just wheel spinning torque steer. Pain in traffic and in town. Then after building gearbox, brakes etc. Was looking at wrong side of £10,000.


So choose the 2.8 24v instead. Pretty cool and awesome sound. Any more than 300whp in a fwd car is pointless especially in a chassis designed for 175bhp!

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: turbo?
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2012, 18:54 »
Some people are prepared to pay 4 - 5 grand for the turbo.
Is there are direct link to the page on how to do it?
Whats required?

I tell you what mate, on the corrado forums, they dont say "too expensive" they say f***** do it!!!!
loads of help there if you need it.

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: turbo?
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2012, 19:15 »
Ive just been reading up on it.....theres alot involved.
Best thing to do if you dont know alot about mechanics is to keep writing cheques and to let stormdevelopments or somebody do the work lol

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: turbo?
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2012, 19:28 »

I tell you what mate, on the corrado forums, they dont say "too expensive" they say f***** do it!!!!
loads of help there if you need it.


I have a couple of mates with VR6Ts (one in a Rallye, one in a Corrado) and they are awesome.
But you can't build them cheap.
You pay the money and build it properly, or melt things and be forever trying to get them to run.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: turbo?
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2012, 19:33 »
Definatley, this people love there corrados, there mk3s.
Not everyone can afford a golf r.
But then again, most people on the forums would buy a mk2 over a new r.
Anybody who wants a turbo fitted must be serious about there machine, if i get round to it, i aint gunna be selling it afterwards lol
Ive ready info online about adding a turbo to a vr6..... But they dont mention the cash you need to spend on upgrading your brakes........ Thats another 800 quid gone.