Author Topic: to poly or not to poly ??  (Read 6715 times)

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2012, 22:39 »
I guess that way you can spend as much time and effort as you like getting a decent finish on it rather than whipping it off then having to stick it back on quickly so that you can use the car again.

yea thats what I'm thinking, need to use this car daily you see
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2012, 22:43 »
I found that the rear bushes aren't difficult to replace if you're geared up for the job to start with but they are a bit time consuming so if you can grab a spare axle to prep it will make life less stressful.

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2012, 22:50 »
cheers matey :smiley:
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2012, 23:05 »
Little tip, try and let the beam back down on axle stands under the discs then do the final tighten on the two main bolts/nuts.

This gets them more or less in the correct position, otherwise when you let it dow it will put a twisting tension on the bushes. ;)

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2012, 23:26 »
I don't know why people say the Mk2 is better around corners  :undecided: Even Rubjonny himself had admitted the Mk3 is better as it has a stiffer shell and better geometry, all the Mk3 needs is the right suspension.

I've got polybushes all front and back and deffo prefer them over standard, but I guess it suits my driving style. As The bushmeister said, try it for yourself.

Weight, Mk2 is lighter and does not have to contend with so much body roll particularly through a series of corners, they do feel more positive.
don't think I'm dissing the Mk3 though, I think its the best all round golf a bit like Beefy Botham :grin:

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #25 on: 06 June 2012, 08:54 »
I don't know why people say the Mk2 is better around corners  :undecided: Even Rubjonny himself had admitted the Mk3 is better as it has a stiffer shell and better geometry, all the Mk3 needs is the right suspension.

I've got polybushes all front and back and deffo prefer them over standard, but I guess it suits my driving style. As The bushmeister said, try it for yourself.

Weight, Mk2 is lighter and does not have to contend with so much body roll particularly through a series of corners, they do feel more positive.
don't think I'm dissing the Mk3 though, I think its the best all round golf a bit like Beefy Botham :grin:

True but as said once the suspension is properly sorted that's not really a issue
Plus the MK2 is about as aero dynamic as a piece of Yorkshire stone
The mk3 is actually really good for dynamics. High speed driving is much more stable. In Mu opinion making it the better option for high powered conversions  :nerd:

Bellend, cheers mate also read this before too :wink: :cool:
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2012, 08:57 »
Mk2 is only just over 100kg lighter on the gti 8v, so no huge difference. As Brad said, the aerodynamics on the mk3 help make it much more stable so its more usable at high speed.

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #27 on: 06 June 2012, 13:17 »
Great thread, picked up some useful tips here.

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #28 on: 06 June 2012, 17:50 »
Great thread, picked up some useful tips here.
+1 to that. This forum should have a thanks button.

Offline mr happy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 26
Re: to poly or not to poly ??
« Reply #29 on: 01 July 2012, 18:47 »
Got mine powdercoated in the end,got beam,brake sheilds and carries done 4 £40.Forgot the callipers though doh,just got remember which way up the beam goes and how it goes back together know lol.