Author Topic: Coilover adjustment question:  (Read 1686 times)

Offline WhiteGolfMK3

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 22
Coilover adjustment question:
« on: 30 May 2012, 12:49 »
A few weeks ago I bought JOM coilovers off eBay new and fitted them. Today ive come to changing the ride height, I want to lower the car more. I thought that spinning the washers upwards lowers the suspension, but when I did this there seemed to be no change in ride height? Am I doing something wrong? If someone could explain to me how to adjust the height that would be great! Heres a photo of the passenger side coilover fitted:


Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 12:59 »
Mate wind them down to lower it not up  :wink:

Offline WhiteGolfMK3

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 22
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 13:06 »
If I wind all the way down, the blue springs become loose, is that alright?

Offline N900 MJT

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 900
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 13:09 »
Its not brilliant as you will need to re-seat it when ever you raise the car but is the only way to go lower.

What you could do is take out the helper spring to give yourself more lows :)

Offline JamesS

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 130
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 13:11 »
When the car is jacked up then the shocks will be topped out (fully extended) so yes, the spring will be loose but when car is lowered back down the shocks compress and slack is taken up. Remember to cover all threads in a nice thick layer of copper grease or similar because they are near impossible to adjust if they rings and shock body corrode together.
AEROSPACE GRADE CNC MACHINED VR6 KEYRINGS. ONLY £16.50 INC P&P.
http://www.mk2vr6.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13053



Offline JamesS

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 130
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 13:11 »
And yeah, taking the helper spring out gives you more lows  :laugh:
AEROSPACE GRADE CNC MACHINED VR6 KEYRINGS. ONLY £16.50 INC P&P.
http://www.mk2vr6.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13053



Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 13:44 »
Trouble is if i remember correctly if you take it for mot and the tester sees them loose he will fail it,but i guess you just wind them up for the mot.

Offline N900 MJT

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 900
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 13:45 »
Or take it to the right MOT stations :P

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 14:24 »
TRUE :wink:

Offline Gash

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,259
Re: Coilover adjustment question:
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 15:26 »
you put them on and didnt have thm right down to begin with?!!