Author Topic: Gearbox high ratio  (Read 3305 times)

Offline triplemaya

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 23
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 05:40 »
Huh! I did use the word beast! Senior moments coming more frequently these days!

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 10:56 »
TBF the 8v has about the same power as Thai's avatar :/

Can you put a service 5th gear in it and leave it at that?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline triplemaya

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 23
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2012, 12:15 »
Happily I was not looking for a particularly powerful car! My days of indulging in screaming about backroads, thrills and spills, near misses and several writeoffs are well over. I was very lucky to have what would now be considered deserted roads to vent my need for speed on. Now I just play nfsw online if I have the urge!

Good thought, but just changing 5th does not solve my 'problem'. I drive about quite gently using only 1st 3rd and 5th most of the time. What I would like is to be using all 5 gears with 3rd where 4th is or higher and so on. 30mph / 1000 is just right for motorways if you have the right motor, which this exactly does, but having the other gears evenly spaced would be a big part of what I am looking for.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2012, 17:10 »
The ibiza uses an 02a box with a cable clutch but it still has the cable shifter. shifter conversion is easy just buy a new shifter, clutch conversion is a bit more involved though but there should be info on a google search about the ibiza clutch
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline triplemaya

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 23
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 20:41 »
Thanks. That's encouraging. Googling I find only one easy reference to an ibiza with 3.158 final drive
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CLwBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clubseat.hu%2Fsite%2Ffile.php%3Fid%3D201&ei=CaXHT5KdBsnQhAe6wuHHDQ&usg=AFQjCNGSBmhC5pVWl8qVfQjWOeYiukR66g&sig2=bgEMO-KHwvCMiy5V6vOMCA

This does not tell me the year, though a diesel with 17" wheels from the factory suggests recent.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2012, 21:16 »
The gearbox can be any 02a the ibiza clutch setup should fit all of them, I've never actually seen how theyh work but I guess its something that bolts in place of the hydro slave cylinder
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline triplemaya

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 23
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2012, 10:47 »
Allrighty! Thanks. So any 02A box, Ibiza clutch setup and a new shifter. I seem to remember seeing a shifter kit in my researches but I can't find it now. Can anyone point me to a good source / got one for sale?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2012, 13:19 »
just done a quick search on the ibiza clutch setup, looks like you need one of these things to replace the hydraulic slave cylinder on the gearbox



part number I found is 02A 141 708B might be worth doing some more research into it though as there will probably be other parts needed as well

also found this thread on clubgti with some useful info http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107068

As for the shifter keep an eye out for someone breaking a 16v and ask for the shifter, some small fabrication is needed to make it fit but its fairly straight forward just a bit of cutting out the old 8v shifter mounts and drilling some holes to secure the new one :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline triplemaya

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 23
Re: Gearbox high ratio
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2012, 23:02 »
Many thanks for all this. The project is starting to look eminently doable with all this info in hand. Now I know it can be made to work I can get a long legged 02A/J box, then get the ibiza bits and fit them up, and then do the job once I've found the linkage off a 16v. Cheers.