Author Topic: Strange.  (Read 1433 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Strange.
« on: 30 May 2012, 11:57 »
Ok just even out for a drive into town.
Came back parked my car outside my house and went for a walk to the shops.
On the way back from the shop 20 mins later I hear a sound from my car as I walk up to it I realise my rad fan is on. So I turn alarm off switch ignition on and it stops. Then when I switch ignition off again and take keys out it comes back on again.
Then I started the car and switched it off again and took keys out and it's stopped now. Any ideas?

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Strange.
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 12:46 »
My fan stays on when it is hot sometimes. I just presumed this was normal.  :undecided:
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Strange.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 12:48 »
Yeah my fan stays on when I turn the car off sometimes but then it switches off a few seconds later normaly. Not still on 20 mins later then switches off when I turn ignition on.

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: Strange.
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 13:32 »
did you check the temperature gauge?
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Strange.
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 13:34 »
seems you have the opposite problem to me, mine hasn't come on since the conversion  :laugh:
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Strange.
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 13:36 »
I think its normal mine does the same so nothing to worry about.

Offline MattJAbela

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
Re: Strange.
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 13:49 »
I turn mine off and theres no fan on, about 10 minutes later my fan will come on lol

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Strange.
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 13:55 »
I think its got something to do with heat soak because even though you have turned the engine off its not going to start and cool down straight away,infact it can get hotter.

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Strange.
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 19:18 »
20 minutes is a long time for normal overrunning though.

My Omega had a sticky relay and that would just stay on 'till the battery was flat. New relay - problem fixed.