Author Topic: Windscreen prices  (Read 1931 times)

Gavv8

  • Guest
Windscreen prices
« on: 29 May 2012, 20:01 »
Does anyone know roughly how much for a new windscreen including fitting, i'm not fully comp on my insurance and i've got a couple of nasty chips that are probably an mot fail.

Offline Shady Pioneer

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,669
  • graphic designer.
Re: Windscreen prices
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2012, 21:02 »
Does anyone know roughly how much for a new windscreen including fitting, i'm not fully comp on my insurance and i've got a couple of nasty chips that are probably an mot fail.

Check your policy bud as some insurers still cover for windscreen replacement under third party, fire and theft. I know mine does, it's a £75 excess but brand new from a windscreen place you can be looking to pay at least double that if not more.

Ring your insurers.

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Windscreen prices
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2012, 21:06 »
I've checked the policy wording and its a no-go on the insurance so i'll have a ring around tommorow, its not super urgent yet but to be honest the screen is well past its best so i'd be happy to pay for a new one.

Offline madmanmart

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 938
Re: Windscreen prices
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2012, 23:00 »
I got one fitted for £100


Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: Windscreen prices
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2012, 23:15 »
Got one for £80. :)

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Windscreen prices
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 09:59 »
I had a new one fitted recently for £120 all in.It was the cheapest i could find in my area.
Be aware that the cheaper you get may not always be the best deal.Screens are laminated and the cheaper one's can fog up in time as they are of inferior quality."Pilkington" is a reasonable make.

Mine had chips but was still MOT passable,i just decided it was time for a new one.

This may help you decide if it's still MOT legal :- http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/windscreen-vision-safety.html  (scroll down).

If you draw a line top to bottom on the outside ,in line with your steering column.Draw another line 145mm either side of the first one.If you have any chips or cracks in the area between the two outer lines that measure over 10mm it will fail an MOT.