Author Topic: New rear Caliper? Yay or Nay? (Video included)  (Read 1048 times)

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
New rear Caliper? Yay or Nay? (Video included)
« on: 28 May 2012, 22:35 »
Hi guys, i drove home last night to find when i parked up....smoke was coming from my rear wheel.
I re-lubed my rear calipers a few months ago and applied new discs, pads and bearings due to the hand brake being slack.
Now i think its time for some new calipers after last nights incident.

Here is a video, hope you can confirm my suspicions.



http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r557/bryanhickman7777/?action=view&current=IMG_0522.mp4


Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: New rear Caliper? Yay or Nay? (Video included)
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2012, 22:44 »
Mine had a similar fault and my hand brake would not work. I had the caliper changed and all has been great since. I also teied having mine stripped and greased before which only works for a short time. Also health and safety says you should not work on a car still on a jack and eapecially the original VW jack  :grin:

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: New rear Caliper? Yay or Nay? (Video included)
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2012, 22:49 »
Lmao I've had my car drop twice due to these jack, it rolled off my moms drive, nearly hitting the blokes van opposite........ Close call....

Offline wheatobear

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 170
Re: New rear Caliper? Yay or Nay? (Video included)
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2012, 22:54 »
i have literally just had my rear caliper replaced too...along with handbrake cable!

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: New rear Caliper? Yay or Nay? (Video included)
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2012, 08:01 »
Was you experiencing a similar problem?