Author Topic: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???  (Read 7090 times)

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« on: 28 May 2012, 21:02 »
Thinking about engine options for my Mk3 Cabrio with the options of 2.8 or 2.9 VR6, 20v 1.8T or 2.8 24v V6 4Motion engine.

Not to keen on Turbo lumps and the sound from the VR lumps so the power from the 24v is right up my street, but questions are 1. how much more work is required over the VR6's and 2. what 2wd gearbox will fit the 24v???

Any ideas!!!

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2012, 21:18 »
what 2wd gearbox will fit the 24v???

Any ideas!!!

Golf or Corrado VR6 gearbox is the one you need.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2012, 21:22 »
Thought as much as it's just a 24v VR6 and the gearbox the block mounting points should be the same.

As for fitting to a MK3 I should just need a loom and ECU right???

Anything else I might be missing out here???

Has anyone fitted this engine to a Mk3, I've seen R32 and R36 transplants.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2012, 21:38 »
Thought as much as it's just a 24v VR6 and the gearbox the block mounting points should be the same.

As for fitting to a MK3 I should just need a loom and ECU right???


Yep should bolt straight in on VR mounts, as Glen said you will need a VR box.


Has anyone fitted this engine to a Mk3, I've seen R32 and R36 transplants.

Not seen one but have seen a few R32 conversions.

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2012, 21:57 »
Only thing I've found on Youtube - http://youtu.be/wEUGIBMxV1A

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2012, 07:41 »
Does anyone know how different the ECU and engine loom would be compared to a VR6, I believe to only engine difference is the 24v head but later ones changed to coil packs.

So is it easier to opt for an early V6 4 motion lump?

Sorry about all the questions :laugh:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2012, 09:15 »
Ecu and engine loom would be different to a VR6 and I am sure they are were all coilpack

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2012, 13:11 »
Thanks for the Wayne.

So far shopping list is 24v lump complete, 24v wiring loom, 24v ECU & VR6 box.

For a S/Steel manifold, should I go for an R32 one as I can only find ones for VR6 or R32 engines. Any links to 4Motion ones would be great :wink:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2012, 15:31 »
For a S/Steel manifold, should I go for an R32 one as I can only find ones for VR6 or R32 engines. Any links to 4Motion ones would be great :wink:

You will need a VR6 one, 4mo or R32 will be no good

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2012, 15:57 »
For a S/Steel manifold, should I go for an R32 one as I can only find ones for VR6 or R32 engines. Any links to 4Motion ones would be great :wink:

You will need a VR6 one, 4mo or R32 will be no good

You sure Wayne?
I thought the head flange faces were different between 12v and 24v VR6/V6s?

I'd have thought one of the specialist R32 type conversion manifolds are the way to go.
Although the R32 and 24v V6 have different inlet manifolds, I believe the exhaust manifolds are the same - so a 6 branch for a R32 conversion should work.

You may even find that 24v cast manifolds mate upto 12v downpipes...I don't know.

Why don't you want to use the standard manifold/downpipes anyway?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.