Author Topic: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.  (Read 3221 times)

Offline BOILINGPOINT

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 36
MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« on: 19 May 2012, 21:45 »
Hi folks.

OK. I have a N-1996 Gti 8v and a V-1999 Passat 1.8t 20v.
I have done endless research on the engine conversion and still have a few questions that I'm unclear about. I did have quite a good budget for this project but the impulse purchase of a 1999 Impreza sti type R has blown the budget. I work in a garage, so stuff like tools and helping hands are not a problem. I don't want to start the project until I have everything I need sat waiting. I want to get the car up and running nicely, then strip it down, do a full respray and replace all the arms, bushes, brake lines, brakes, etc...

What extra parts will I need to buy?

A subject of much debate on the Internet is the gearbox, can I use the standard 8v box?

During my research I have seen a lot of people handing over close to a grand for a pre modified wiring loom and ecu. Can I graft the 2 looms together and use either the Passat ecu or golf ecu?

Some threads I have read say the Passats turbocharger is not useable but others say it is useable?

Well that's it for now, give me some answers and if needed i'll do some shopping and start a project thread with loads of pics for you to drool over!

Many thanks in advance BP

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2012, 22:16 »
A Passat is no good as a donor car, the engine is not transverse it needs to be a mk4 Golf really.

Offline BOILINGPOINT

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 36
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2012, 04:51 »
Hi Wayne, thanks for the reply.
However I don't think that is the case, I've seen numerous threads with a Passat as a donor.
Some were not in English and most of the others were vague about exactly which parts were used from the subject, donor or purchased separately. Hence why I'm asking and I already have the Passat so it will be used for the basic engine. The engine must be basically the same as a golf unit, it not being mounted transversely should only make a difference to the exhaust, turbo compressor housing and engine mounts? Obviously the gearbox from the Passat will not be a useable option, again why I asked specifically about using the 8v box.
I'd be greatful if you could answer any of the questions directly.
Many thanks again BP
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 13:21 by BOILINGPOINT »

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2012, 13:36 »
mate do a search

iv put a thread in the sticky section with list of parts needed

using 8v box is not gonna get you far either
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2012, 18:00 »
Passat engine is fine, but you need the transverse intake manifold, will need a 16v gearbox or MK4.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline BOILINGPOINT

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 36
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2012, 18:29 »
Many thanks guys, I had overlooked the sticky threads.
Lots of very usefull info in the sticky.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2012, 22:19 »
Basic engine will work but most of the bolt on parts will be different including the sump

Offline BOILINGPOINT

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 36
Re: MK3 APU 1.8t conversion.
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2012, 17:23 »
Ok. Little update.
I have bought an a3 inlet manifold, mk4 Gti box and a mk3 diesel box.
I'm going to start stripping the Passat next week.

Regards BP