Author Topic: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2012, 07:55 »
My proof is my old 8v reg number N77 VWG. The new owner will confirm the headlining was mint on it. And I was not saying it would do a full recover cause it wouldn't. The original post was in regards to the part of the headlining right actoss the windscreen where the material cover comes away from the sponge (common problem). When I removed mine I used a Prit Stick to stick this down then sprayed mine Black. I had the car for four months after this and was fine and I saw the car some 13 months later and the interior was mint which caught my eye and there was no sagging. So dont tell me its not possible when I did it !!!!!!!!  :tongue:

Offline GolfGL

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 679
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2012, 11:40 »
Top tip Deano, the prit stck is holding strong and saved me atleast a fiver on  spray glue, cheers!
Adam
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2012, 11:55 »
Top tip Deano, the prit stck is holding strong and saved me atleast a fiver on  spray glue, cheers!
Adam

I think that says it all really, loads of people use pritt stick, I did on my old polo and not once did it fall down in 2 years

Offline scooter perv

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2012, 19:52 »
The lip at the front was hanging down on ours just behind the sunvisors and I bought some high temp spray glue of ebay for about £10 and its holding up. On my old my old mk2 half the rear was hanging down and I done it with carpet glue about 3 times and every time it got hot it fell down...although that was vinyl and quite heavy.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2012, 20:50 »
cleaned my whole interior yesterday with a family members aqua vac, he used to valet high end luxury and sports cars in spain, he recently returned home to stay & so he brought the kit over an showed us how it was done, seats, carpets the lot my car looks an smells as fresh as the day it left wolfsberg, 15 years ago!!!   :cool:



Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2012, 19:20 »

I've just bought fabric and glue to retrim my headlining.

This spray glue is very highly recommended by a lot of people, I would suggest giving it a shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-FIX-HIGH-HEAT-RESISTANCE-ADHESIVE-500ml-x2-cans-/320897322174?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4ab6f88cbe#ht_500wt_969
« Last Edit: 11 June 2012, 19:50 by Shady Pioneer »

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2012, 10:36 »

I've just bought fabric and glue to retrim my headlining.

This spray glue is very highly recommended by a lot of people, I would suggest giving it a shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-FIX-HIGH-HEAT-RESISTANCE-ADHESIVE-500ml-x2-cans-/320897322174?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4ab6f88cbe#ht_500wt_969


Where you get the fabric? Been trying to get some myself

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2012, 13:10 »
Ebay mate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-FAUX-SUEDE-SUEDETTE-FABRIC-WIDTH-150cms-/120928671224?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item1c27e915f8#ht_599wt_905

I email him at info@jaskwear.com asking for 2.5m x 1.5m, which has more than enough to cover the whole thing. You could probably use 2m but I got extra to cover sun visors and sunroof slide.

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2012, 17:36 »
Cheers dude!!

Il get 2 because I have black visors and no sun roof. But do need black grab handles.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2012, 17:49 »
I'd get 2.5m bud, it only cost me £12 something. Reason I said 2m is enough is because when I measured I got 190cm from front to back, but you might want a bit extra for getting the ends right so you can fold it back on itself.