Author Topic: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice  (Read 5316 times)

Offline GolfGL

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 679
Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« on: 17 May 2012, 00:14 »
Hi,

So my headlining is hanging down at the front, just before the screen. Should there be something to hold it in place or do i just need some spray glue to reattach it.

Can headlining be cleaned and whats the best stuff as it has a few light marks?

Thanks
Adam
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline Edwh0re

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 399
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 07:10 »
|Its a common problem with them that they drop at the leading edge.  It will need glueing up, what I have done with mine is pin it up with a couple of dressmaking pins as a temporary measure until I get around to dropping it out the car and recovering it.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 09:22 »
Removing the headlining is easy really then I used Prit Stick to seal mine on my old Golf which had dropped (useful tip from Wayne  :wink:). I have sprayed mine Black as well and then put back in. Removal can be done in half hour with no sunroof and an extra 10 mins with the sunroof.

Offline GolfGL

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 679
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2012, 20:41 »
Do you think i need to remove it to refit it or can it be done in situ?   I was thinking of getting some carpet glue but will try the prit stick as i have some in my office draw
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2012, 21:11 »
It could be done in the car really but if you want to clean it up then its much easier out of the car where you can lay it on the ground and clean it properly. As I said though I sprayed mine Black which looks smart and clean.

Offline harlemex

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,023
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2012, 22:00 »
Pritt stick  :grin: :grin: you could also try blu tac oe semen  :laugh:

You will find that the lining is going to keep on peeling as soon as you try and re stick it. You need high temperature glue to hold it in place.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 08:56 »
I actually used my Daughters prit stick on my old Golf and it did the job and stayed there for the duration of my ownership if the car. Don't knock it till you've tried it  :cool:

Offline harlemex

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,023
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2012, 15:18 »
All due respect but the big issue with headling glue is heat.. Pritt stick may be okay for temporary, but as soon as you get those heaters directed at the windscreen that glue is gonna melt, fact. Not to mention the extreme temperatures inside a car in the summer. Im sure if pritt stick was that good vw would have used it  :grin:

Also, the foam behind the headlining becomes dry and brittle and it literally disintegrates, have a look and see. Dont try and tell me pritt stick will sort that issue out.  :cool:

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2012, 21:31 »
Have you tried it ??   I am guessing NO and I have and the fact is that it worked on mine. I have the heaters set onto the windscreen probably 90% of the time the heaters are on. My headlining was sagging and then after using Prit Stick it was not and NEVER fell back down.
Don't diss my help for something I have done and you have not until you try it. It does sound crazy but genuinely works and you have NO PROOF whatsoever to suggest it does not work  :wink:

Offline harlemex

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,023
Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2012, 00:44 »
keep your hair on, pritt stick boy. I have used the stuff, but not on headlining. Are you saying it would be possible to re cover your whole headlining using pritt stick? I have recovered mine and I used high temp glue. There have been many other people re cover there headlining only to have it sag due to the heat action on the glue they used, which is why pritt stick seemed abit doubtful to me. Maybe its okay temporarily. I also sealed my headliner with diluted pva in order to repair the disintegrating issue. If your headlining foam is rotting then nothing will stick to crumbs and thats pure physics. As for proof, wheres yours?  :wink: