Author Topic: Caliper bolt help  (Read 2684 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Caliper bolt help
« on: 10 May 2012, 16:53 »
Ok today wile I was fitting my coilys I decided to change my rear wheel bearings. Problem I have is I undone and removed the to bolts so I could get the brake pads out. Went to remove the 2 bolts on the rear of it all that are allen key headed so I could get the rest of the caliper off so I am able to then take the brake disc off but some douchbag seems to have already had ago at it and rounded one of the Allen key headed bolts inside.
Any ideas on how I can remove this so I can get the brake disc off?

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 16:55 »
Irwin extractor sockets or you could try smashing a socket over it, however I doubt there's much room to maneuver.

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 17:02 »
Lol....you have no luck with bolts!! I had this problem when stripping down my Mk3 however i waited until I removed my rear axle and welded a nut on the end of it to get it out. Battering a bigger allan key in there might do it but I guess your tight for space to do that.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline madmanmart

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 938
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 19:27 »
I used a pair of stilsons


Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline negawsklov

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 19:39 »
One of my front struts was like you describe.... bought an impact driver and job done, amazing what they can do.. Smash the appropriate fitting in it and let it do the work

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 19:43 »
i have a an impact driver but no allen key bits to fit it. i have allen keys and a bar to put on the end of them :grin:
i could try some stilsons but not sure how i would get them close as its pretty tight back there for space

Offline negawsklov

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 19:56 »
Always told at work (pipe fitter/sprinkler service engineer) if it went in it will come out, always a way.. bring it to me and i'll get  :angry:it out

Offline topher

  • Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,557
  • fully functioning
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 19:58 »
i hammered a 12 point spline into mine, did the trick. T45 i think it was

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 20:44 »
These caliper carrier bolts are notoriously fvcking difficult to remove and seem to be made of butter. Heat the bolt up first if you can then hammer an Irwin bolt extractor on it then dig out the strength oh a bear on a long breaker bar and wait for the crack!

Offline LowlifeDubber

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,608
Re: Caliper bolt help
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2012, 20:50 »
i hammered a 12 point spline into mine, did the trick. T45 i think it was

This every single time!