Author Topic: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help  (Read 3152 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« on: 10 May 2012, 15:04 »
Just fitting my coilovers. Fitted 3 of them fine. Got to the last one started undoing the bolt on bottom of rear shock and it's fcuking snapped. I'm now laying in pouring rain thinking what the hell do I do.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 15:20 »
It's a tough life. Looks like you're going to have to pay the scrappy a visit and find another Mk3 and get a bolt from it, or ebay. You're going to have to drill the old bolt out.

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 15:24 »
The bolt is threaded into a captive nut which clips into the axle so would just be a matter of removing that and getting a similar size nut and bolt or as said get to the breakers and get the proper one.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 15:49 »
its a nightmare as the bolt only snapped the end so the hole bolt is still through and the shock stick on.
ah right so the captive nut can be unclipped? so i can unclip it and try to pull it out through the tube?
may be a problem the the bolt is still long inside.

how does the nut unclip?

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 16:08 »
its a nightmare as the bolt only snapped the end so the hole bolt is still through and the shock stick on.
ah right so the captive nut can be unclipped? so i can unclip it and try to pull it out through the tube?
may be a problem the the bolt is still long inside.

how does the nut unclip?


The clip goes into that open tube end of the axle and locates in a lug just in front of the bolt hole then  the other end just clips on the edge of the tube. They can be seized on there though. I'm sure you can manipulate it out with the bolt still in. If not just cut it down a bit.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 16:19 »
Ah ok great. I will try and unclipped it and tap the broken end of the bolt that may break the nut and clip loose. Cheers mate  :wink:
I'm not freaking out so much now. I thought the nut was welded in.

Will walk round to the shop in the morning and see if I can find a decent nut and bolt to replace it.
Do you happen to no what size bolt to use? And does it have to be a hardened metal not or anything special?

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 16:37 »
Ah ok great. I will try and unclipped it and tap the broken end of the bolt that may break the nut and clip loose. Cheers mate  :wink:
I'm not freaking out so much now. I thought the nut was welded in.

Will walk round to the shop in the morning and see if I can find a decent nut and bolt to replace it.
Do you happen to no what size bolt to use? And does it have to be a hardened metal not or anything special?

No idea on type of nut and bolt mate but I would maybe be tempted to get one from the dealers considering its under quite alot of load. I doubt a bolt from a normal hardware shop would cut it. But if your in a hurry to get it sorted it will do as a temporary measure. Someone breaking a mk3 on here should be able to sort you out with one also.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 17:10 »
You need a 10.9 or 12.8 grade bolt and it is m10 size from memory.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 17:29 »
Ok mate great cheers. My mate is going to shoot me down the road to VW and hopefully they may have them and the nut in stock.
What does the grade mean?

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2012, 18:04 »
On my Golf and a few I've worked on the captive nuts come off anyway.

Tap the bolt and the captive nut will break free. Should give you enough room  to get the shock out then you can put an 18mm spanner on the nut and turn the broken bolt.

If you can't get hold of anything, PM me your address and I'll stick a bolt and nut in the post tomorrow.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.