Author Topic: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2012, 09:28 »
I use Ta Teckniks, which are the same as Jom's, I have used them for 18 months wound down onto on the bottom of the threads, they were a year old when i got them from a friend & the shocks have only just let go this week, no complaints from me, its a fair ride to be honest as ive used a lot of coilovers over the years in various cars & for £159 I cant really fault them, they are not what i would use if i was on a track day,

I find the ride harsher if they arent wound to the bottom or very near it, which is strange as you would expect it to be the other way around...
next week i will be ordering a set of jom's as i want to replace the ones i have as the ride with blown shocks is abismal.....

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2012, 18:32 »
For an extra £40 you can get some FK's  :cool:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2012, 20:02 »
For an extra £40 you can get some FK's  :cool:


Arent they like, exactly the same?  :huh:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2012, 20:14 »
i had TA technics on my black golf and they were fine. bit harsh but i had problem with them.
iv just got myslef some tuning art coilys now wich i think are the same aswell as the C spanner that came with them says TA technics on it.
and one good thing on the new one i like is the sleave that covers the bump stop is actuly rubber this time not that plastic consatina that always beaks up and gets stuck between shock and coil.

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2012, 22:14 »
For an extra £40 you can get some FK's  :cool:


Arent they like, exactly the same?  :huh:

Definitely NOT!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2012, 22:54 »
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

Offline 67buggers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 727
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2012, 01:09 »
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

Got them fitted to mine, wound down as low as they will go and I have no complaints.....


I fix iPhone's and iPod's, I can fix most faults call me on 07811344816 for a quote

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2012, 06:17 »
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

I've had JOMS before on a vr & I have a set if FK Street in my car waiting to go on

Mate has some fitted to a mk4 tdi and they are definatly worth the price
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline lemski

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,017
  • 16v
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2012, 07:53 »
I had some fk coilies on my car for a few weeks, stiffer than my supersports. I prefer the supersports but wen gettin my next set I will go wietech

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2012, 08:27 »
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

I've had JOMS before on a vr & I have a set if FK Street in my car waiting to go on

Mate has some fitted to a mk4 tdi and they are definatly worth the price

I would be interested in your feedback when you fit them, as you have almost back to back comparison, I will be looking to buy a new set next week as my shocks are gone an I can't be using these pogo sticks for too much longer pmsl

With regards to the mk4 it's an entirely different setup on the rear which by its own nature is not as harsh as the rear struts on mk2 & mk3, my brother has a an a3 an the wifes lupo both run jom an ta technics but because the rear beams both use a spring with a damper instead of a leg, the ride is completely comfy... Or that's the only conclusion I can draw from all three cars using essentially the same suspension system and being at similar ride heights...