Author Topic: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|  (Read 4423 times)

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« on: 10 May 2012, 00:04 »
You guys have prob heard this all before lol but I was a little concerned.

Bought some JOM's for my mk3 as they were dirt cheap and looked good, got a decent quote from a trusted knowladgble garage for fitting and they had some bad things to say  :angry:

Basically just that they're cheap and nasty and have had numerous customers coming back saying they've collapsed etc when driven hard  :undecided:, and that TUV approval only means that they have been built to a standard but not tested for dudrablity? Obviously they're not really designed for track use but they were really not happy with fitting them but would do it anyway. The garage in question in Glasgow are famous for setting up winning rally cars and mainly deal with high end suspension systems like KW & Bilstien so obviously they're not going to sing and dance about a budget set.

Just wanted to see what the general consensus is on these in terms of how they last?


Cheers, John  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 10 May 2012, 00:05 by SCO_VAG »

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 00:10 »
They are ok for the money but given the choice I would not use them again, better to spend more money and get something better.

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 00:24 »
Ofcorse a garage is going to say that i expect they will charge you an arm and a leg to just for putting them on. Garages don't like when people come with there stuff as the garage cant guarantee the parts in question.
your best bet is to safe alot of money and do it yourself. i had no knowledge or tools to do the job, went out brought some tools for like £25 all in all and did it myself. ( i did have jack stands already tho )

Built not brought ;-)

p.s how can you regret it already when you haven't had them on your car lol.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 00:24 »
They are ok for the money but given the choice I would not use them again, better to spend more money and get something better.

Fair enough mate cheers.

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 00:33 »
Ofcorse a garage is going to say that i expect they will charge you an arm and a leg to just for putting them on. Garages don't like when people come with there stuff as the garage cant guarantee the parts in question.
your best bet is to safe alot of money and do it yourself. i had no knowledge or tools to do the job, went out brought some tools for like £25 all in all and did it myself. ( i did have jack stands already tho )

Built not brought ;-)

p.s how can you regret it already when you haven't had them on your car lol.


Yea I know what your saying mate... they only wanted £90 inc tracking, which I reckon is good, its childs play to them an hour tops he said. Ive fitted coillies before but I cant really be arsed with the hassle lol.

Tbh after looking at them they look fine.. the welds are good the springs are perfect nothing wrong with them was just a little put off as I trust the garage I use  :undecided:

« Last Edit: 10 May 2012, 00:36 by SCO_VAG »

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 00:37 »
Coilovers are easy to fit. Stop being a woman and do it yourself.

Offline SCO_VAG

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • www.ScottishVag.com
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 00:43 »
Coilovers are easy to fit. Stop being a woman and do it yourself.

haha seriously cannot be arsed man  :cool:

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 05:53 »
I've never been to a garage where they didn't moan about something while they are taking your money, thats why i stopped using them years ago.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 07:00 »
I run Joms on mine which is lowered as much as I can and as my daily I have no complaints. The ride is comfy with no knocks or bangs whereas my old VR was fitted with an expensive kit that was a bad ride. They are probably not the best but I have no complaints and would not hesitate to use them again.

Offline VR6_Wherry

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,938
Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2012, 09:16 »
I have JOMs on the back and APs on the front. I can't really tell the difference to be honest.. yet the APs are £100 a corner as opposed to the JOMs at £40! :grin: