Author Topic: Rear wheel bearings.  (Read 4736 times)

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2012, 20:16 »
No replace pads they will have worn to the shape off your old discs I.e. grooves etc. They are cheap enough anyway but have heard of people giving then a rub down to flatten them off if they are newish but I would just replace.

Plus you might need a caliper wind tool if you havent got one.
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2012, 20:25 »
Either that or circlip pliers to wind them back. Just DO NOT push them back as you'll damage them.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2012, 20:30 »
Either that or circlip pliers to wind them back. Just DO NOT push them back as you'll damage them.

really? i was planning on just pushing them back  :grin:

so i need a propper tool to change the brakes on mk3 golf? so what does the tool do diferantly than push it in?

Offline spikenipple

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 644
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2012, 20:37 »
The pistons wind back in rather than just pushing back in. Pushing them in will get you nowhere and if you force them will just damage the caliper.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2012, 20:44 »
oh ok cheers.
do they all go clockwise or is it diferant on each side?
been looking at wind back tools on ebay.
so can i do it with a circlip pliers aswell then. may just buy some of them instead as they will be cheaper probbly

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2012, 20:48 »
You can use water pump pliers as well to turn the piston. It's just the rears that wind back, the fronts just just push in.

Offline spikenipple

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 644
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2012, 20:49 »
If you use circlip pliers, get some decent, beefy 90 degree ones. I used a pissy little pair of 45 degrees and it was a total ball ache   :undecided:

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2012, 21:26 »
Tbh I wouldn't waste my time with circlip pliers as some of the rear calipers ive done have been pretty tight to wind back even with the proper tool. £15/ £20 well spent if you ask me and it's there in the tool box for when you ever need it again.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #18 on: 09 May 2012, 11:34 »
what size socket do i need for the hub nuts? also are they 12 point nuts or normal nuts?

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #19 on: 09 May 2012, 12:33 »
Do'nt forget your ABS rings off of your old discs if your new discs do'nt have any on  :smiley: